4th Edition 2023! Take on this beautiful mountain and trail race with 2898m of ascent and featuring the magnificent Cadair Idris Penygader (893m), the 'Queen of the Rhinogs' Rhinog Fach (712m), Dolgellau, the world renowned Barmouth estuary and the majesty of Wales' greatest forest, Coed-y-Brenin.
With 6 Checkpoints spanning the course, fantastic GB Ultras support and Live Online GPS Tracking via GB Race Tracker. Ultrarunners will be pushed to their absolute limit during Ultra Wales!
Saturday 24th June 2023
Mens PB - Tim Woodier (GBR) Mynydd Du: 11 Hours, 6 Minutes, 26 seconds (New Route 2022)
Ladies PB - Charlotte Beddow (GBR) GB Ultras RC: 12 Hours 30 Minutes, 4 seconds (New Route 2022)
With live online GPS tracking from GB Race Tracker & brilliant support at checkpoints along the journey, it's a race you’ll always remember!
Top 100 Finishers earn Gold, 101-200 Placed Finishers earn Silver. And 201+ Finishers earn the beautiful Bronze Medal.
Outstanding Support from the #GBUltras team! With UTMB Qualifying Points, the race is a stunning challenge and a Navigation event.
Watch the Race Live with GB Race Tracker
You can now watch the entire race unfold live thanks to the live tracking we use for this event
EVENT INSTRUCTIONS BRIEF
Full Race details
Coed-y-Brenin Visitor Centre, Dolgefeiliau, Ganllwyd, Dolgellau, LL40 2HZ.
START & FINISH LINE - Coed-y-Brenin
Coed-y-Brenin Visitor Centre
Friday 23rd June 2023.
5.00pm – 9.00pm - Registration & Race No. Collection.
Saturday 24th June 2023 – Race Day
4.15am – 5.45am - Registration, Race No. Collection & GB Race Tracker Collection.
6.00am – Race Start.
The Mandatory Kit stipulated in this section must be carried at all times during Ultra Wales as it is the duty of the participant to be self-sufficient throughout the event. The Checkpoints merely support your progress.
Hardcopy Map - Harvey Maps XT40 (both Central and South Snowdonia) or similar or Ordnance Survey Explorer OL18 & OL23,
Waterproof coat with sealed seams (Gore-Tex or similar) - minimum 10,000mm,
Base plate Compass
Long Sleeved Base layer (kept in a drybag separate from starting kit)
Water bottle or bladder - min 1 litre capacity,
Fully charged mobile phone,
Primary light - Headtorch,
Secondary light (not mobile phone),
GPS Tracker (Provided by GB Race Tracker Prior to the Race).
Please be aware GB Ultras Races Now Cupless! You can buy a GB Ultras reusable cup CLICK HERE to visit the shop.
CHECKPOINT 1- CP Location - 10 Miles - SH73010 17915 Dolgellau – Close to the Leisure Centre - Cut off 10am - (Please park at the Co-op/supermarket) - Dolgellau - Arran Rd, Dolgellau LL40 1LH
https://what3words.com/sticky.fittingly.done - Support teams welcome
CHECKPOINT 2 - CP Location - 16 Miles - SH73147 11590 Dol Idris Car Park/Minffordd Car Park, Minffordd Path, Llanfihangel-y-Pennant, LL36 9AJ – Cut off 12.24pm
https://what3words.com/crackles.stint.movements - Support teams welcome
CHECKPOINT 3 - CP Location - 22 Miles SH69804 15278 Ty Nant, Pony Path, Arthog, Gwynedd, LL40 1TN – Cut off 2.48pm
https://what3words.com/lakes.sharpens.plates - Support teams welcome
CHECKPOINT 4 - CP Location - 30 Miles - SH61313 15732 - Dragon Threatre, Jubilee Road, Barmouth, Gwynedd, LL42 1LR – Cut off 6pm - Support teams welcome
https://what3words.com/music.juniors.morphing - Support teams welcome
CHECKPOINT 5 - CP Location - 39 Miles - SH62939 23830 Pont Scethin, Dyffryn Ardudwy, Gwynedd, LL45 2PL – Cut off 9.36pm - TOWARDS Dyffryn Ardudwy, Talybont LL43 2AT NO SUPPORT TEAMS PERMITTED --- https://what3words.com/having.unwound.pastels
CHECKPOINT 6 - CP Location - 45 Miles SH68396 30189 Graigddu Ganol, Trawsfynydd, Gwynedd, LL40 2LB – Cut off Sunday 12am ---- https://www.google.com/maps/place/52°51'25.1%22N+3°55'11.9%22Wemail@example.com,-3.91997,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m9!1m2!2m1!1sGraigddu+Ganol,+Trawsfynydd,+Gwynedd,+LL40+2LB!3m5!1s0x0:0xa3e653f724dae3aa!7e2!8m2!3d52.8569659!4d-3.91997
https://what3words.com/reputable.brew.cemented - Support teams welcome (please note difficult access/please close gates behind vehicles)
FINISH: SH72335 26866 Coed-y-Brenin Visitor Centre – Cut off Sunday 2am
Ultra-Marathon Admission Waiver
Each ultra runner agrees and understands the full nature of an Ultra-Marathon. That an Ultra-Marathon involves running throughout the day and well into the night at times with limited rest over challenging terrain with inherent risks of changing weather conditions. Each ultra runner understands that it is their responsibility to adequately train for the event, and monitor their own health throughout and are ultimately responsible for their own safety.
Each ultra runner understands these are there responsibilities not those of GB Ultras.
Please read these terms and conditions carefully and make sure that you understand them, before placing an entry on our site. By submitting your entry form, you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions ("the Terms"), and by submitting, you declare that you hereby, for yourself, your heirs and executors, administrators, successors, and assigns, declare that:-
1. I hereby agree to comply with the Conditions of Entry and all event rules and regulations as set down by GB Ultras Ltd ("the Event Organisers") a company registered in England and Wales under company number 09397186. These conditions include the length of time taken to complete sections of the course which may be implemented by the Event Organisers, at their discretion, to ensure safe and proper running of the event.
2. I agree that the decision of the Race Referee will be final in all circumstances and no discussion will be entered into.
3. I agree to conduct myself in a sporting, professional and cautious manner during my participation in the event and understand that I may be disqualified if I do not do so.
4. I understand participation in this Event is physically strenuous and demanding and am fully aware of the nature of the event and all associated medical and physical risks involved. I further certify that I am physically capable of competing in this Event and I will only compete if I am fit enough to do so.
5. I will be immediately disqualified from the Event if I am found to have intentionally shortened the route to the race, and found to be deliberately littering the course.
6. If I have any medical condition(s), including allergies, which the Event Organisers or Event medical advisors might need to be aware of, I have provided details of this on my entry form, and will also provide written details of this on the rear of my pin-on numbers prior to my participation in the Event. I agree to display my number at all times during the Event.
7. I acknowledge that my pin-on number is personal to me and it is non-transferable under any circumstances.
8. I understand and agree that I participate in this Event entirely at my own risk, that I must rely on my own ability in dealing with all hazards, and that I must conduct myself in a manner that is safe for myself and all others throughout the duration of this Event.
9. I agree to retire immediately from the event if ordered to do so by the Event Organisers, any government official or member of the emergency services.
10. I accept full liability for any medical expenses incurred as a result of training for and/or participating in the Event
11. I accept that the Event Organisers, sponsors, race officials, medical advisers and any person involved in the organisation of this Event are not liable for any injury or illness or resultant death that I may suffer as a result of my participation in the Event, whether prior to, during or subsequent to the Event. I enter the race entirely at my own risk. I renounce any rights and claims for damages that I may have against the Event Organisers, sponsors, race officials, medical advisers and any person involved in the organisation of this Event together with their officers, directors, shareholders, successors and assigns, (collectively, "Releasees") and release them from all liability to the Participant and his/her personal representatives, assigns, heirs, executors, and successors for loss(es), damage(s) and claims therefor on account of injury to Participant or his/her property or the resultant death of Participant, whether caused by the active or passive negligence of the Releasees or otherwise, in connection with Participants involvement in the Event ("Losses"), and further covenants not to sue any of the aforementioned parties for such Losses.
12. Whilst the Event Organisers take every care with the staging of the Event, I accept that I must make all reasonable precautions for the safeguarding of my person and of my property during my participation in this Event. I further acknowledge that personal accident and personal items insurance is my responsibility.
13. I understand that at registration, I must produce photographic identification.
14. I am aware that when running, the function of the marshals is only to indicate direction and that I must decide if the movement is safe.
15. I accept that, in relation to my participation in this Event, I am required to obey instructions from marshals and relevant signage before, during and after the Event.
16. The Event Organisers introduce cut off times for completion of sections of the course as they see fit. These will be made clear prior to the race. Competitors may be instructed to withdraw from the Event in accordance with the imposed cut off times.
17. I accept that the Event Organisers reserve the right to amend the event format or cancel the Event due to health and safety reasons, including storm, rain, inclement weather, winds or any other act of god conditions. I accept that my Entry fee shall be non-refundable in this circumstance as costs have already been incurred.
18. I accept that the Event Organisers will do their utmost to provide me with a finish time following my completion of the Event, however they will not be held responsible for any computer result anomalies.
19. I will be 18 years old or over on the day of the Event.
20. I have read, understood and accept the GB Ultras Ltd Withdrawal Policy.
21. I understand that confirmed entry to this event is dependent on a fully and accurately completed online Entry Form; and receipt of payment to cover my Entry fee at least 10 working days (2 weeks) in advance of the event. If either of these conditions is not fulfilled then my entry will not be valid nor accepted, and I will not be eligible to take part in the Event.
22. Through my completion and submission of the online Entry Form, I am committing to paying for my Event entry via the means as instructed on the GB Ultras Ltd website.
23. I irrevocably consent to my appearance in any media format, in relation to the publicity of this Event, and in future publicity and advertising of GB Ultras Ltd; provided that such use does not imply my direct endorsement of any official sponsor or suppliers of the Event.
24. All decisions and rulings by the Event Organisers, its employees and its agents are considered final.
25. The Event Organisers reserve the right to vary these conditions by giving notice to in writing in any official event material or correspondence prior to the Event.
26. A person who is not party to these Terms shall not have any rights under or in connection with them under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999.
27. We will not be liable or responsible for any failure to perform, or delay in performance of, any of our obligations under the Terms that is caused by events outside our reasonable control (Force Majeure Event).
A Force Majeure Event includes any act, event, non-happening, omission or accident beyond our reasonable control and includes in particular (without limitation) the following: strikes, lock-outs or other industrial action; civil commotion, riot, invasion, terrorist attack or threat of terrorist attack, war (whether declared or not) or threat or preparation for war; fire, explosion, storm, flood, earthquake, subsidence, epidemic or other natural disaster; impossibility of the use of railways, shipping, aircraft, motor transport or other means of public or private transport; impossibility of the use of public or private telecommunications networks; the acts, decrees, legislation, regulations or restrictions of any government; and pandemic or epidemic.
28. I have read, understood and accept the GB Ultras Ltd Withdrawal Policy.
29. Should a GPS Tracker be damaged, lost or stolen then the entrant agrees to cover the cost of the tracker which is £150 + VAT per GPS tracker.
30. Upon withdrawal or completion of Ultra Wales, the runner agrees to return the GPS tracker to the Race Organiser. If a GPS tracker is not returned to a dedicated Race Marshal then the runner will be charged £150 + VAT.
31. The selection of the Coed-y-Brenin as a Venue is Subject to the confirmation
If you see a runner experiencing difficulties please inform Checkpoint Marshals. Each runner has Head Quarters mobile numbers on their bib.
No roads are closed en route so please exercise due diligence and care at all times. This will mean that participants have to slow, possibly stop to cross roads.
There are certain sections that lead onto country road, and/or road crossings – due to the length of the route – it won’t be possible to marshal a 50 mile route. It is the role of the entrant to be self-sufficient.
Our team will endeavour to reach any participant in difficulty within 30 minutes to 1 hour due to the inaccessibility of the Trail. Medical staff will be dispatched as quickly as possible. Phones must be used only in emergency to conserve battery power should the need arise.
Participants who lose time helping another fallen participant, struggling against the cut off time due to this reason, can claim this time back, subject to RD discretion, Checkpoint/Village Hall availability, and under the proviso of completing within their new, extended cut off period.
GB Ultras believe all participants should make proper and mindful transport arrangements prior to the event and NO participant should be in charge of a car directly after the event. Please make sensible arrangements.
Prior to the race – Due to the nature of the event HIRING Village Halls and obtaining permissions and committing to tracking costs, medical contracts and suppliers, costs are incurred as soon as a participant signs up, NO refunds are possible in this event. However, GB Ultras understand injuries do occur so would URGE ALL RUNNERS to take out DOGTAG PERSONAL MEDICAL COVER or BMC Personal Cover to help claim back the entry fee (due to injury) and thus following the insurance companies process. Please be aware that the Insurance Company determines whether the nature of your injury will necessitate a refund.
Any deferrals to the 2023 Race must be done 8 weeks prior to the event at a cost of £12 due to costs incurred.
Transfers are possible up until 3 weeks before the Race day providing qualifying criteria is met (marathon experience) at a cost of £12.
Transfer to another runner
During the race – Unless medically unable, you should only be withdrawing from the Race at a Checkpoint Only. It is not our responsibility to pick up a runner short of a Checkpoint. Please inform a GB Ultras Race Marshal or the Event Director of your withdrawal. This will ensure all participants who are registered and pull out of the race are accounted for, allowing for the accurate and safe running of the event. If a participant withdraws at a Checkpoint they must hand over their race number AND GPS TRACKER to Senior Race Staff to signal their retirement. Marshals’ will inform one of the Race Director’s and communicate the withdrawal to each of the remaining Checkpoints so that they can then update their lists. A sweeper after the cut off time will take retired participants to the Finish Venue, there may well be a wait to be picked up. Although ultimately decisions to continue are in the hands of the runner, GB Ultras reserve the right to pull any participant out of the race on health grounds.
Become a valued member of the #GBUltras team supporting runners at checkpoints during the race! Experience the event from the other side and make a difference!
Race Marshal roles are designated prior to the event with different roles to suit the individual and event costs can also be waived for the same event in the following year providing criteria of a minimum 6 hours volunteering (50 Mile) or minimum of 12 hours volunteering (100 Mile) is met.
Food & Refreshments are also available at Checkpoints throughout the event for the Event team along with a tech tee shirt (subject to availability).
All of the runners are exceptionally grateful of your fundamental part in their race experience. To APPLY to become an event marshal with GB Ultras for any of our events at please complete and submit your details on the Volunteer form on our website https://www.GBUltras.com/volunteer/ .
GB Ultras Running Club
Want to join the GB Ultras Running Club? Head over to the GB Ultras Shop now!