ULTRA WALES 50
Saturday 22nd June 2024
5th Edition 2024! Take on this beautiful mountain and trail race with 2898m of ascent and featuring the magnificent Cadair Idris Penygader (893m), the 'Queen of the Rhinogs' Rhinog Fach (712m), Dolgellau, the world renowned Barmouth estuary and the majesty of Wales' greatest forest, Coed-y-Brenin.
With 6 Checkpoints spanning the course, fantastic GB Ultras support and Live Online GPS Tracking via GB Race Tracker. Ultrarunners will be pushed to their absolute limit during Ultra Wales!
Ready for the challenge?
Secure your place now on the Ultra Wales for only £99.
Are You Ready To
Be Challenged? Make Friends? Laugh? Cry?
Gold, Silver or Bronze?
Top 100 finishers earn a Gold ‘Ultra Wales’ Medal, 101-200 finishers earn a Silver ‘Ultra Wales’ Medal and 201+ finishers earn the Bronze ‘Ultra Wales’ Medal. The 2023 Ultra Wales is part of the GB Ultras 50 Mile GRAND SLAM! There are additional prizes for the Top 3 Male & Top 3 Female finishers.
Click Below To Watch The Live Online Tracking
All The Ultra Wales Information
We want you to have the most amazing time at the Ultra wales! All the information you need to participate in this event is below.
Start Venue & Race HQ
Coed-y-Brenin Visitor Centre, Dolgefeiliau, Ganllwyd, Dolgellau, LL40 2HZ.
Friday 21st June 2024.
5.00pm – 9.00pm – Registration & Race Number Collection.
Saturday 22nd June 2024 – Race Day
4.15am – 5.45am – Registration, Race Number & GB Race Tracker Collection.
6.00am – Race Start.
At least 20 years old + at the time of the race.
In good health.
Must have run at least a marathon distance race prior to the event. Due to the impact of COVID lockdowns on training and events, a virtual or a training run of marathon distance or over is sufficient.
This can be for an event not yet taken place but that will be completed prior to Ultra Wales start.
The Mandatory Kit stipulated in this section must be carried at all times during Ultra Wales as it is the duty of the participant to be self-sufficient throughout the event. The Checkpoints merely support your progress.
Hardcopy Map – Harvey Maps XT40 (both Central and South Snowdonia) or similar or Ordnance Survey Explorer OL18 & OL23,
Waterproof coat with sealed seams (Gore-Tex or similar) – minimum 10,000mm,
Base plate Compass
Long Sleeved Base layer (kept in a drybag separate from starting kit)
Water bottle or bladder – min 1 litre capacity,
Fully charged mobile phone,
Primary light – Headtorch,
Secondary light (not mobile phone),
GPS Tracker (Provided by GB Race Tracker Prior to the Race).
Please be aware GB Ultras Races Now Cupless! You can buy a GB Ultras reusable cup CLICK HERE to visit the shop.
Each checkpoint will provide water, along with other refreshments and snacks. We’ll also have a Medic or a First Aider available.
There are Cut-Off times per Checkpoint – implemented by the Event Organisers, GB Ultras, at their discretion, to ensure safe and proper running of the event.
Checkpoint 1- 10 Miles
SH73010 17915 Dolgellau – Close to the Leisure Centre
Cut off 10am – (Please park at the Co-op/supermarket) – Dolgellau – Arran Rd, Dolgellau LL40 1LH
https://what3words.com/sticky.fittingly.done – Support teams welcome
Checkpoint 2 – 16 Miles
Dol Idris Car Park/Minffordd Car Park, Minffordd Path, Llanfihangel-y-Pennant, LL36 9AJ
Cut off 12.24pm
https://what3words.com/crackles.stint.movements – Support teams welcome
Checkpoint 3 – 22 Miles
SH69804 15278 Ty Nant, Pony Path, Arthog, Gwynedd, LL40 1TN
Cut off 2.48pm
https://what3words.com/lakes.sharpens.plates – Support teams welcome
Checkpoint 4 – 30 Miles
SH61313 15732 – Dragon Threatre, Jubilee Road, Barmouth, Gwynedd, LL42 1LR
Cut off 6pm
https://what3words.com/music.juniors.morphing – Support teams welcome
Checkpoint 5 – 39 Miles
SH62939 23830 Pont Scethin, Dyffryn Ardudwy, Gwynedd, LL45 2PL
Cut off 9.36pm
TOWARDS Dyffryn Ardudwy, Talybont LL43 2AT NO SUPPORT TEAMS PERMITTED
Checkpoint 6 – 45 Miles
SH68396 30189 Graigddu Ganol, Trawsfynydd, Gwynedd, LL40 2LB
Cut off TBC
https://what3words.com/reputable.brew.cemented – Support teams welcome (please note difficult access/please close gates behind vehicles)
SH72335 26866 Coed-y-Brenin Visitor Centre
Cut off Sunday 2am
If you see a runner experiencing difficulties during Ultra Wales please inform Checkpoint Marshals. Each runner has Head Quarters mobile numbers on their bib.
No roads are closed en route so please exercise due diligence and care at all times. This will mean that participants have to slow, possibly stop to cross roads.
There are certain sections that lead onto country road, and/or road crossings – due to the length of the route – it won’t be possible to marshal a 50 mile route. It is the role of the entrant to be self-sufficient.
Our team will endeavour to reach any participant in difficulty within 30 minutes to 1 hour due to the inaccessibility of the Trail. Medical staff will be dispatched as quickly as possible. Phones must be used only in emergency to conserve battery power should the need arise.
Participants who lose time helping another fallen participant, struggling against the cut off time due to this reason, can claim this time back, subject to RD discretion, Checkpoint/Village Hall availability, and under the proviso of completing within their new, extended cut off period.
GB Ultras believe all participants should make proper and mindful transport arrangements prior to the event and NO participant should be in charge of a car directly after the event. Please make sensible arrangements.
Ultra Wales Admission Waiver
Each ultra runner agrees and understands the full nature of an Ultra-Marathon. That an Ultra-Marathon involves running throughout the day and well into the night at times with limited rest over challenging terrain with inherent risks of changing weather conditions. Each ultra runner understands that it is their responsibility to adequately train for the event, and monitor their own health throughout and are ultimately responsible for their own safety. Criteria ensures that a runners safety depends on their own skills and abilities and these have been gained from other events placing them in good stead to take on the mental and physical challenges of Ultra Wales.
Each ultra runner understands these are there responsibilities not those of GB Ultras.
Please read these terms and conditions carefully and make sure that you understand them, before placing an entry on our site. By submitting your entry form, you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions (“the Terms”), and by submitting, you declare that you hereby, for yourself, your heirs and executors, administrators, successors, and assigns, declare that:-
1. I hereby agree to comply with the Conditions of Entry and all event rules and regulations as set down by GB Ultras Ltd (“the Event Organisers”) a company registered in England and Wales under company number 09397186. These conditions include the length of time taken to complete sections of the course which may be implemented by the Event Organisers, at their discretion, to ensure safe and proper running of the event.
2. I agree that the decision of the Race Referee will be final in all circumstances and no discussion will be entered into.
3. I agree to conduct myself in a sporting, professional and cautious manner during my participation in the event and understand that I may be disqualified if I do not do so.
4. I understand participation in this Event is physically strenuous and demanding and am fully aware of the nature of the event and all associated medical and physical risks involved. I further certify that I am physically capable of competing in this Event and I will only compete if I am fit enough to do so.
5. I will be immediately disqualified from the Event if I am found to have intentionally shortened the route to the race, and found to be deliberately littering the course.
6. If I have any medical condition(s), including allergies, which the Event Organisers or Event medical advisors might need to be aware of, I have provided details of this on my entry form, and will also provide written details of this on the rear of my pin-on numbers prior to my participation in the Event. I agree to display my number at all times during the Event.
7. I acknowledge that my pin-on number is personal to me and it is non-transferable under any circumstances.
8. I understand and agree that I participate in this Event entirely at my own risk, that I must rely on my own ability in dealing with all hazards, and that I must conduct myself in a manner that is safe for myself and all others throughout the duration of this Event.
9. I agree to retire immediately from the event if ordered to do so by the Event Organisers, any government official or member of the emergency services.
10. I accept full liability for any medical expenses incurred as a result of training for and/or participating in the Event
11. I accept that the Event Organisers, sponsors, race officials, medical advisers and any person involved in the organisation of this Event are not liable for any injury or illness or resultant death that I may suffer as a result of my participation in the Event, whether prior to, during or subsequent to the Event. I enter the race entirely at my own risk. I renounce any rights and claims for damages that I may have against the Event Organisers, sponsors, race officials, medical advisers and any person involved in the organisation of this Event together with their officers, directors, shareholders, successors and assigns, (collectively, “Releasees”) and release them from all liability to the Participant and his/her personal representatives, assigns, heirs, executors, and successors for loss(es), damage(s) and claims therefor on account of injury to Participant or his/her property or the resultant death of Participant, whether caused by the active or passive negligence of the Releasees or otherwise, in connection with Participants involvement in the Event (“Losses”), and further covenants not to sue any of the aforementioned parties for such Losses.
12. Whilst the Event Organisers take every care with the staging of the Event, I accept that I must make all reasonable precautions for the safeguarding of my person and of my property during my participation in this Event. I further acknowledge that personal accident and personal items insurance is my responsibility.
13. I understand that at registration, I must produce photographic identification.
14. I am aware that when running, the function of the marshals is only to indicate direction and that I must decide if the movement is safe.
15. I accept that, in relation to my participation in this Event, I am required to obey instructions from marshals and relevant signage before, during and after the Event.
16. The Event Organisers introduce cut off times for completion of sections of the course as they see fit. These will be made clear prior to the race. Competitors may be instructed to withdraw from the Event in accordance with the imposed cut off times.
17. I accept that the Event Organisers reserve the right to amend the event format or cancel the Event due to health and safety reasons, including storm, rain, inclement weather, winds or any other act of god conditions. I accept that my Entry fee shall be non-refundable in this circumstance as costs have already been incurred.
18. I accept that the Event Organisers will do their utmost to provide me with a finish time following my completion of the Event, however they will not be held responsible for any computer result anomalies.
19. I will be 20 years old or over on the day of the Event (Rule T3 (141) S5 UKA Trail Running).
20. I have read, understood and accept the GB Ultras Ltd Withdrawal Policy.
21. I understand that confirmed entry to this event is dependent on a fully and accurately completed online Entry Form; and receipt of payment to cover my Entry fee at least 10 working days (2 weeks) in advance of the event. If either of these conditions is not fulfilled then my entry will not be valid nor accepted, and I will not be eligible to take part in the Event.
22. Through my completion and submission of the online Entry Form, I am committing to paying for my Event entry via the means as instructed on the GB Ultras Ltd website.
23. I irrevocably consent to my appearance in any media format, in relation to the publicity of this Event, and in future publicity and advertising of GB Ultras Ltd; provided that such use does not imply my direct endorsement of any official sponsor or suppliers of the Event.
24. All decisions and rulings by the Event Organisers, its employees and its agents are considered final.
25. The Event Organisers reserve the right to vary these conditions by giving notice to in writing in any official event material or correspondence prior to the Event.
26. A person who is not party to these Terms shall not have any rights under or in connection with them under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999.
27. We will not be liable or responsible for any failure to perform, or delay in performance of, any of our obligations under the Terms that is caused by events outside our reasonable control (Force Majeure Event).
A Force Majeure Event includes any act, event, non-happening, omission or accident beyond our reasonable control and includes in particular (without limitation) the following: strikes, lock-outs or other industrial action; civil commotion, riot, invasion, terrorist attack or threat of terrorist attack, war (whether declared or not) or threat or preparation for war; fire, explosion, storm, flood, earthquake, subsidence, epidemic or other natural disaster; impossibility of the use of railways, shipping, aircraft, motor transport or other means of public or private transport; impossibility of the use of public or private telecommunications networks; the acts, decrees, legislation, regulations or restrictions of any government; and pandemic or epidemic.
28. I have read, understood and accept the GB Ultras Ltd Withdrawal Policy. You agree that we may publish your Personal Information as part of the results of the Event and may pass such information to the governing body or any affiliated organisation for the purpose of insurance, licences or for publishing results either for the event alone or combined with or compared to other events. Results may include (but not be limited to) name, any club affiliation, race times, occupation and age category. Your details may also be passed onto 3rd parties via Live tracking so that your family and friends and the general public can follow every entrants position during the Race.
29. Should a GPS Tracker be damaged, lost or stolen then the entrant agrees to cover the cost of the tracker which is £150 + VAT per GPS tracker.
30. Upon withdrawal or completion of the Race, the runner agrees to return the GPS tracker to the Race Organiser. If a GPS tracker is not returned to a dedicated Race Marshal at Race HQ then the runner will be charged £150 + VAT.
31. I have read, understood and accept the GB Ultras Ltd Withdrawal Policy.
Prior to the Ultra Wales race
Due to the nature of the event, costs are incurred as soon as a participant signs up, no refunds are possible in this event.
Any deferrals to the 2025 Race must be done 8 weeks prior to the event at a cost of £12 due to costs incurred.
ADMIN FEE link > https://www.gbultras.com/product/admin-fee-gbultras/
Please note – Deferrals are permitted for 1 year only (unless due to pregnancy – please see GB Ultras Pregnancy Deferral Policy below).
- Women who have entered a GB Ultras event and are, or become, pregnant prior to race day can defer entry for up to two years.
- Women who fall pregnant again during the deferral period may request another deferral for up to an additional two years.
- Partners are also able to defer for one year if the birth is imminent.
- To defer please email email@example.com with the medical certificate/medical confirmation of the pregnancy/birth.
- All other rules and requirements for race entry will apply.
Transfer your Ultra Wales place to another runner
During the Ultra Wales race
Please inform a GB Ultras Race Marshal at one of the Checkpoint’s, Race HQ or the Race Director. This will ensure all participants who are registered and pull out of the race are accounted for, allowing for the accurate and safe running of the event. If a participant withdraws at a Checkpoint they must hand over their Race Number & GPS Tracker (property of GB Race Tracker) to race staff to signal their retirement. Marshals’ will switch off the tracker, inform Race HQ and each of the remaining Checkpoints can update their manual lists. A sweeper after the cut off time will take retired participants to the Finish Venue. Although ultimately decisions to continue are in the hands of the runner, GB Ultras reserve the right to pull any participant out of the race on health grounds.
Ultra Wales Race Briefing
Ultra Wales Mandatory Kit
The course is a 50 mile trail and mountain race with a 20 hour cut-off and explores the lower reaches of Southern Snowdonia before ascending and taking in the beauty of Cadair Idris and Rhinog Fach.
Part Of The 50 Mile Grand Slam
Take on 5 of our 50 Mile Ultra Marathons for the Grand Slam Medal or take on 8 50 Mile Ultra Marathons for the Super Slam & get in to the Hall of Fame
In the lead up to the Race, GB Ultras Running Club organise training runs covering the entire route section by section to help build confidence and prepare runners for the upcoming Ultra Wales 50 Mile Race.
There will be a small charge Of £19.99 for 1 day or £34.99 for both days for these to cover event team costs. Included is –
- Fully guided recce run
- Mandatory kit advice
- Exclusive group messenger chat for recce and race prep
- Limited edition buff
- Meet the team
- Gain trail experience and knowledge
Pace wise we’ll be going at a nice gentle pace ensuring all runners stay as a group with brief stops approximately every couple of miles.
Generally our training runs have high attendance and for safety reasons we’ll be imposing a limit depending on feedback.
Please take into account weather conditions closer to the time. We recommend runners refer to the Mandatory kit section and carry sufficient food/water for the duration of each of the runs.
Section covered & distance
Starting from Dol Idris car park (Checkpoint 2) and taking runners to Cadair Idris and then onwards to Barmouth (Checkpoint 4) covering 15 miles of the route.
8:00am – Dol Idris Car Park/Minffordd Car Park, Minffordd Path, Llanfihangel-y-Pennant, LL36 9AJ
Dragon Threatre, Jubilee Road, Barmouth, Gwynedd, LL42 1LR
Please opt into the WhatsApp messenger group to secure arrangements.
Section covered & distance
Covering 20 miles from Barmouth to Coed-y-Brenin, the Finish Venue for the Race.
8:00am – Dragon Threatre, Jubilee Road, Barmouth, Gwynedd, LL42 1LR
Coed-y-Brenin Forest Park, Dolgefeiliau, Ganllwyd, Dolgellau, LL40 2HZ.
Please opt into the WhatsApp messenger group to secure arrangements.
Share the Ultra Wales page
So you like 50 Mile Ultra Events, so do we! Below you’ll find similar 50 Mile Ultras
Pennine Barrier Ultra 50
8th Edition | 50 Miles | 18 Hours | 2593m Elevation | Final Places
Ultra Scotland 50
5th Edition | 56 Miles | 18 Hours | 2560m Elevation | Limited Places
Beacons Way Ultra
5th Edition | 105 km | 20 Hours | 3178m Elevation | Limited Places
Yr Wyddfa Snowdon Ultra 50
6th Edition | 47 Miles | 21 Hours | 3254m Elevation | By Application