CHESTER ULTRA 50
Saturday 2nd March 2024
2024 Marks the Return of the Incredible Chester Ultra 50 Mile Race for its 8th Edition.
The Race is hosted by the GB Ultras team with live online GPS tracking from GB Race Tracker & 6 Checkpoints supporting runners along some of the very best & most beautiful natural trails in the region with 849m of Ascent.
This well-marked ultra-marathon links trails along the North Cheshire Way and the Sandstone Trail taking in Helsby Hill, Delamere Forest & Frodsham. The event is also a UTMB Qualifying Race & has ITRA Points assigned!
Ready for the challenge?
Chester Ultra 50 gets sold out pretty quickly, secure your place now to avoid massive FOMO for only £89.
Are You Ready To
Be Challenged? Make Friends? Laugh? Cry?
Gold, Silver or Bronze?
Top 100 finishers earn a Gold ‘Chester Ultra’ Medal, 101-200 finishers earn a Silver ‘Chester Ultra’ Medal and 201+ finishers earn the Bronze ‘Chester Ultra’ Medal. The 2023 Chester Ultra 50 Mile is part of the 2023 GB Ultras 50 Mile GRAND SLAM!
Click Below To Watch The Live Online Tracking
All The Chester Ultra 50 Information
We want you to have the most amazing time at the Chester Ultra 50! All the information you need to participate in this event is below.
Start & Finish Venue
Ellesmere Port Sports Village, Athletics Track, Stanney Lane, Ellesmere Port, CH65 9LB.
Friday 1st March 2024 At Start Venue
5.30pm – 9.00pm – Race Registration: Bib Number Collection Only.
If you collect your bib number on Friday evening, you will still need to return during the times below on Saturday to collect your Race Tracker. The Race Tracker device is part of your mandatory kit – if you do not collect this, you will not be permitted to race.
Saturday 2nd March 2024 At Start Venue
4:15am – 5:30am – Race Registration: Bib Number Collection & GB Race Tracker Collection
6.00am Race Start – Mass Start
At least 20 years old + at the time of the race.
In good health.
Must have run at least a marathon distance race prior to the event.
This can be for an event not yet taken place but that will be completed prior to the 2024 Chester Ultra start.
There is ample parking at Ellesmere Port Sports Village, please respect decisions of Car Park stewards who will be helping people park within the grounds. Please also consider car sharing with friends for the event.
We would strongly advise participants to make transport arrangements prior to Race Day and ask runners to rest prior to making any long journey due to exhaustion and the increased risk of an incident.
Local taxi companies: King Kabs Ellesmere Port on 0151 355 1122 or Chester on 01244 343434 and Chester Taxi Service on 01244 421024.
Local train station: Ellesmere Port Train Station, Europa Way, CH65 4AR.
Book via https://www.thetrainline.com/stations/chester with regular trains all over the UK.
Please note: a taxi from Ellesmere Port Train Station to the Sports Village (approx 2.2 miles) takes around 7 minutes.
There are a number of hotels and Bed & Breakfasts in the area. Book early to avoid disappointment.
In 2022 we are using a car sharing website developed to save you money, and reduce the carbon footprint of the event, please see if anyone else is making a similar journey to the event or see if you can provide a lift.
Car Share link – https://liftshare.com/uk
Mandatory kit MUST be carried during the race.
Failure to carry mandatory kit will result in a participant being disqualified.
Random kit checks at race registration, during the race and at the finish line will take place.
Waterproof coat with sealed seams, i.e. Goretex – Min 10,000mm,
Long Sleeved Base layer (separate from start kit in a dry bag in case of emergency),
Water bottle or bladder -min 1 litre capacity,
Fully charged mobile phone (with Race HQ numbers) in waterproof covering/bag,
Headtorch (Minimum 75 Lumens),
Secondary Headtorch (not mobile phone),
Electrolytes – S-Caps,
As the Start and Finish are the Same Venue there is no provision for looking after Dropbags. Please keep these safe in your vehicle or with a supporter.
Please be aware GB Ultras Races are cupless! You can buy a GB Ultras reusable cup CLICK HERE to visit the shop.
With the exception of Checkpoint 1 which is a ‘water only’ checkpoint, each checkpoint will provide refreshments including cola, tailwind, water and juice as well as a variety of sandwiches, salted potatoes, fruit, snacks, crisps and biscuits. We’ll also have a Medic, First Responder or a 1st aider available.
Cut-Off times per Checkpoint – These conditions include the length of time taken to complete sections of the course and they are implemented by the Event Organisers, GB Ultras, at their discretion, to ensure safe and proper running of the event.
START – Event HQ & Registration:
Ellesmere Port Sports Village (EPSV) Athletics Track, Stanney Lane, Ellesmere Port, CH65 9LB.
CHECKPOINT 1 – 4 Miles
NO SUPPORT CREW ACCESS
Shropshire Canal, Picton Lane, Stoak, CH2 4HL. SJ42335 72987
Cut Off at CP1: 7:11 AM Saturday
CHECKPOINT 2 – 8.7 Miles
Tower Rd/Raymond St, Chester, CH1 4EL. SJ 40065 66580.
Cut Off at CP2: 8:54 AM Saturday
CHECKPOINT 3 – 13 Miles
Waverton Village Hall, Common Lane, Waverton, CH3 7QT. SJ 45473 64054.
Cut Off at CP3: 10:14 AM Saturday
CHECKPOINT 4 – 20 Miles.
NO SUPPORT CREW ACCESS
Sandstone Trail, Crib Lane, Tarporley, CW6 9DQ. SJ54053 61380.
Cut Off at CP4: 12:40 PM Saturday
CHECKPOINT 5 – 27.5 Miles.
Barnsbridge Car Park, Delamere Forest, Ashton Road, WA6 6US. SJ 54172 71588.
Cut Off at CP5: 3:00 PM Saturday
CHECKPOINT 6 – 34 Miles.
Frodsham, Near Middle Walk, WA6 6BW. SJ 51915 77108.
Cut Off at CP6: 5:20 PM Saturday
CHECKPOINT 7 – 40 Miles.
TBC – New location for the 2024 event.
Cut Off at CP7: 7:20 PM Saturday
FINISH – Event HQ:
Ellesmere Port Sports Village (EPSV) Athletics Track, Stanney Lane, Ellesmere Port, CH65 9LB.
There is a 17 hour cut off time for the event.
NO SUPPORT CREW ACCESS
Due to parking limitations, Support Crews are NOT permitted at Checkpoint 1 (Stoak) and Checkpoint 4 (Crib Lane). These locations are now strictly event team only. Please ensure your support crews are made aware of this restriction to avoid your disqualification from the event.
Although largely a trail event, due to the nature of the event, there are inevitably some road crossings where it will be necessary to slow and possibly stop. No roads are closed en route. Particular attention should be given at these points.
As always, if you see a runner experiencing difficulties please inform Checkpoint Marshals. Each runner should have the Race Organiser’s mobile number. Our team will always endeavour to reach any participant in difficulty but due to inaccessibility of the Trail this can take time.
The trail runs close by to Water Courses like the River Dee and Shropshire Canal – care should be taken at these areas, particularly given the time of the year of the event.
Conditions might well be muddy and icy, be careful and mindful, of uneven and slippery terrain, falling branches, some overgrowth, stiles to negotiate and close to the stiles, barbed wire. There might also be some danger presented by steep drops, close to cliff edges at Helsby & Frodsham Hill (runners aren’t beside the cliff). Watch your footing. Also be mindful and respectful of other users of the trail, giving priority to others.
Additional Support Crew Access Points you might find helpful, nearby to where runners cross.
8 Miles – Please do not park at CP2 as there is no parking available. Please use local Pay & Display parking at Saddlery Way Car Park, 5 Saddlery Way, Chester, CH1 4LZ a short walk away.
12.9 Miles – Checkpoint 3 – Waverton Village Hall or beside the canal on Eggbridge Lane.
19 Miles – Shady Oak Restaurant, Bate’s Mill Lane, Tarporley, CW6 9UE – Runners pass along the canal.
26 Miles – Gresty’s Waste Car Park, Chester Road, Delamere, Tarporley, CW6 0SP – Please note this is a very busy road crossing for runners here so please avoid distracting runners as they cross and preferably support at the checkpoint nearby.
28 Miles – Checkpoint 5 – Delamere Forest.
34 Miles – Checkpoint 6 – Frodsham.
38 Miles – The White Lion, Manley Road, Frodsham, WA6 9DD. Runners pass close by along the North Cheshire Way (a short walk away).
41 Miles – as Checkpoint 7. Please do not park on Chester Road.
Please note: Due to parking limitations, No Support Crew PARKING at Checkpoint 1 (Stock) nor Checkpoint 4 (Crib Lane). Please also do not park directly at Checkpoint 2 nor on the main road at Checkpoint 7. Park locally within Dunham on the Hill leaving the road clear. Support Crews risk disqualification of their runner if they are present at any of the locations where we have stated No Support Crew.
Ultra-Marathon Admission Waiver
Each ultra runner agrees and understands the full nature of an Ultra-Marathon. That an Ultra-Marathon involves running throughout the day and well into the night at times with limited rest over challenging terrain with inherent risks of changing weather conditions. Each ultra runner understands that it is their responsibility to adequately train for the event, and monitor their own health throughout and are ultimately responsible for their own safety. Criteria ensures that a runners safety depends on their own skills and abilities and these have been gained from other events placing them in good stead to take on the mental and physical challenges of Chester Ultra.
Each ultra runner understands these are there responsibilities not those of GB Ultras.
Please read these terms and conditions carefully and make sure that you understand them, before placing an entry on our site. By submitting your entry form, you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions (“the Terms”), and by submitting, you declare that you hereby, for yourself, your heirs and executors, administrators, successors, and assigns, declare that:-
1. I hereby agree to comply with the Conditions of Entry and all event rules and regulations as set down by GB Ultras Ltd (“the Event Organisers”) a company registered in England and Wales under company number 09397186. These conditions include the length of time taken to complete sections of the course which may be implemented by the Event Organisers, at their discretion, to ensure safe and proper running of the event.
2. I agree that the decision of the Race Referee will be final in all circumstances and no discussion will be entered into.
3. I agree to conduct myself in a sporting, professional and cautious manner during my participation in the event and understand that I may be disqualified if I do not do so.
4. I understand participation in this Event is physically strenuous and demanding and am fully aware of the nature of the event and all associated medical and physical risks involved. I further certify that I am physically capable of competing in this Event and I will only compete if I am fit enough to do so.
5. I will be immediately disqualified from the Event if I am found to have intentionally shortened the route to the race, and found to be deliberately littering the course.
6. If I have any medical condition(s), including allergies, which the Event Organisers or Event medical advisors might need to be aware of, I have provided details of this on my entry form, and will also provide written details of this on the rear of my pin-on numbers prior to my participation in the Event. I agree to display my number at all times during the Event.
7. I acknowledge that my pin-on number is personal to me and it is non-transferable under any circumstances.
8. I understand and agree that I participate in this Event entirely at my own risk, that I must rely on my own ability in dealing with all hazards, and that I must conduct myself in a manner that is safe for myself and all others throughout the duration of this Event.
9. I agree to retire immediately from the event if ordered to do so by the Event Organisers, any government official or member of the emergency services.
10. I accept full liability for any medical expenses incurred as a result of training for and/or participating in the Event
11. I accept that the Event Organisers, sponsors, race officials, medical advisers and any person involved in the organisation of this Event are not liable for any injury or illness or resultant death that I may suffer as a result of my participation in the Event, whether prior to, during or subsequent to the Event. I enter the race entirely at my own risk. I renounce any rights and claims for damages that I may have against the Event Organisers, sponsors, race officials, medical advisers and any person involved in the organisation of this Event together with their officers, directors, shareholders, successors and assigns, (collectively, “Releasees”) and release them from all liability to the Participant and his/her personal representatives, assigns, heirs, executors, and successors for loss(es), damage(s) and claims therefor on account of injury to Participant or his/her property or the resultant death of Participant, whether caused by the active or passive negligence of the Releasees or otherwise, in connection with Participants involvement in the Event (“Losses”), and further covenants not to sue any of the aforementioned parties for such Losses.
12. Whilst the Event Organisers take every care with the staging of the Event, I accept that I must make all reasonable precautions for the safeguarding of my person and of my property during my participation in this Event. I further acknowledge that personal accident and personal items insurance is my responsibility.
13. I understand that at registration, I must produce photographic identification.
14. I am aware that when running, the function of the marshals is only to indicate direction and that I must decide if the movement is safe.
15. I accept that, in relation to my participation in this Event, I am required to obey instructions from marshals and relevant signage before, during and after the Event.
16. The Event Organisers introduce cut off times for completion of sections of the course as they see fit. These will be made clear prior to the race. Competitors may be instructed to withdraw from the Event in accordance with the imposed cut off times.
17. I accept that the Event Organisers reserve the right to amend the event format or cancel the Event due to health and safety reasons, including storm, rain, inclement weather, winds or any other act of god conditions. I accept that my Entry fee shall be non-refundable in this circumstance as costs have already been incurred.
18. I accept that the Event Organisers will do their utmost to provide me with a finish time following my completion of the Event, however they will not be held responsible for any computer result anomalies.
19. I will be 20 years old or over on the day of the Event (Rule T3 (141) S5 UKA Trail Running).
20. I have read, understood and accept the GB Ultras Ltd Withdrawal Policy.
21. I understand that confirmed entry to this event is dependent on a fully and accurately completed online Entry Form; and receipt of payment to cover my Entry fee at least 10 working days (2 weeks) in advance of the event. If either of these conditions is not fulfilled then my entry will not be valid nor accepted, and I will not be eligible to take part in the Event.
22. Through my completion and submission of the online Entry Form, I am committing to paying for my Event entry via the means as instructed on the GB Ultras Ltd website.
23. I irrevocably consent to my appearance in any media format, in relation to the publicity of this Event, and in future publicity and advertising of GB Ultras Ltd; provided that such use does not imply my direct endorsement of any official sponsor or suppliers of the Event.
24. All decisions and rulings by the Event Organisers, its employees and its agents are considered final.
25. The Event Organisers reserve the right to vary these conditions by giving notice to in writing in any official event material or correspondence prior to the Event.
26. A person who is not party to these Terms shall not have any rights under or in connection with them under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999.
27. We will not be liable or responsible for any failure to perform, or delay in performance of, any of our obligations under the Terms that is caused by events outside our reasonable control (Force Majeure Event).
A Force Majeure Event includes any act, event, non-happening, omission or accident beyond our reasonable control and includes in particular (without limitation) the following: strikes, lock-outs or other industrial action; civil commotion, riot, invasion, terrorist attack or threat of terrorist attack, war (whether declared or not) or threat or preparation for war; fire, explosion, storm, flood, earthquake, subsidence, epidemic or other natural disaster; impossibility of the use of railways, shipping, aircraft, motor transport or other means of public or private transport; impossibility of the use of public or private telecommunications networks; the acts, decrees, legislation, regulations or restrictions of any government; and pandemic or epidemic.
28. I have read, understood and accept the GB Ultras Ltd Withdrawal Policy. You agree that we may publish your Personal Information as part of the results of the Event and may pass such information to the governing body or any affiliated organisation for the purpose of insurance, licences or for publishing results either for the event alone or combined with or compared to other events. Results may include (but not be limited to) name, any club affiliation, race times, occupation and age category. Your details may also be passed onto 3rd parties via Live tracking so that your family and friends and the general public can follow every entrants position during the Race.
29. Should a GPS Tracker be damaged, lost or stolen then the entrant agrees to cover the cost of the tracker which is £150 + VAT per GPS tracker.
30. Upon withdrawal or completion of the Race, the runner agrees to return the GPS tracker to the Race Organiser. If a GPS tracker is not returned to a dedicated Race Marshal at Race HQ then the runner will be charged £150 + VAT.
31. I have read, understood and accept the GB Ultras Ltd Withdrawal Policy.
Before the race
Due to the nature of the event, costs are incurred as soon as a participant signs up, no refunds are possible in this event.
Any deferrals to the 2025 Race must be requested by emailing the event team at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 8 weeks prior to the event subject to payment of an administration fee. No deferral requests will be permitted after this time. Click here to pay the Admin Fee.
Please note that a deferral is permitted for one year only!
Transfers to another runner
Transfers are possible up until 3 weeks before the Race day providing qualifying criteria is met (marathon experience) and payment of an administration fee. No transfer requests will be permitted after this time. Click here to pay the Admin Fee.
During the race
Please inform a GB Ultras Race Marshal at one of the Checkpoint’s or Race HQ. This will ensure all participants who are registered and pull out of the race are accounted for, allowing for the accurate and safe running of the event. If a participant withdraws at a Checkpoint they must hand over their Race Number & GPS Tracker to the Event team to signal their retirement. Marshals will inform the race organiser and each of the remaining Checkpoints can update their event documentation.
Upon withdrawal from the race, it is the responsibility of the individual to get themselves home (or to the finish if required to collect their dropbag). We would recommend having your own Support Crew or someone on standby to collect you in case of withdrawal during the event.
Where possible, runners withdrawing from the race may be able to be transported by GB Ultras event support from a checkpoint back to Race HQ however this cannot be guaranteed. Priority will be given to runners still participating in the race.
Where it is possible to transport a runner to the finish, this will only be available after a checkpoint closes and therefore may involve a significant wait. In addition, as event teams are deployed to multiple checkpoint locations, transport to Race HQ may involve intermediate stops on route for further (potentially lengthy) periods of time before heading to Race HQ.
GB Ultras also reserve the right to pull any participant out of the race on health grounds.
Chester Ultra 50 Race Brief
Chester Ultra 50 Mandatory Kit
The RouteChester Ultra® 50 mile has a fantastic mix of trailrunning, with the race intially joining canal towpath before heading through the ancient woodland of Delamere Forest and the natural beautiful landscape of the Sandstone Trail to Frodsham and Helsby Hill. Benefits from 6 Checkpoints and straightforward navigation on a well-marked route..
Part Of The 50 Mile Grand Slam
Take on 5 of our 50 Mile Ultra Marathons for the Grand Slam Medal or take on 8 50 Mile Ultra Marathons for the Super Slam & get in to the Hall of Fame
All ‘entrants’ are invited to join the Team on training runs covering key sections of the Chester Ultra 50 route prior to Race day. You can attend as many as you like, one day or both days of any given training weekend with the aim of learning the route and increasing confidence come Race day. You’ll also have the chance to meet other runners taking on the Race. Training runs will have a small charge of £19.99 for 1 day or £34.99 for both days for attendance. Included is –
- Fully guided recce run
- Mandatory Kit Advice
- Exclusive group messenger chat for recce and race prep
- Limited edition buff
- Meet the team
- Gain Trail experience and knowledge
Pace wise we’ll be going at a nice gentle pace ensuring all runners stay as a group with brief stops approximately every couple of miles.
Generally our training runs have high attendance and for safety reasons we’ll be imposing a limit depending on feedback.
Please take into account weather conditions closer to the time. We recommend runners refer to the Mandatory kit section and carry sufficient food/water for the duration of each of the runs.
Section covered & distance
Waverton (Checkpoint 3 on the 50 mile) and taking runners to Frodsham (Checkpoint 6) covering 21 miles of the route.
Start Time: 08:00 – Start/meeting point: Waverton Village Hall (Common Lane, Waverton, CH3 7QT)
Costa Coffee (14 Church St, Frodsham WA6 6QL) … Car sharing: Please opt into the WhatsApp messenger group to secure arrangements.
Section covered & distance
Covering 16 miles from Frodsham to Ellesmere Port Sports Village, the Finish Venue for the Race.
8:00am Costa Coffee 14 Church St, Frodsham WA6 6QL
Ellesmere Port Sport Village (Stanney Lane, Ellesmere Port, CH65 9LB)
Please opt into the WhatsApp messenger group to secure arrangements.
Share the Chester Ultra 50 page
So you like 50 Mile Ultra Events, so do we! Below you’ll find similar 50 Mile Ultras
Manchester to Liverpool
8th Edition | 50 Miles | 14 Hours | 123m Elevation | Sold Out
Glasgow to Edinburgh Ultra
13th Edition | 56 Miles | 15 Hours | 231m Elevation | Limited Places
Pennine Barrier Ultra 50
8th Edition | 50 Miles | 18 Hours | 2593m Elevation | Final Places
Yr Wyddfa Ultra 50
6th Edition | 47 Miles | 21 Hours | 3254m Elevation | By Application