Chester Ultra® 100 Mile
The Remarkable 100 Mile Chester Ultra: Well marked & taking in some of the best trails in the region along the Sandstone Trail, the Marches Way (beside the River Dee), Helsby Hill, Frodsham, Beeston Castle, Delamere Forest and the Bridgewater Canal, with 1590m of Ascent and 10 Checkpoints en route.
Earn YOUR 100 Mile Belt Buckle! Live Online GPS Tracking via GB Race Tracker makes it easy for family and friends to follow progress and runners are supported by the excellent GB Ultras team throughout the Race. Support crews are welcome throughout and pacers from half-way. 2023 ITRA & UTMB Point Allocation pending!
Saturday 27th May 2023
Mens PB - Charlie Sharpe (GBR) 18 Hours 4 Minutes (2018)
Ladies PB - Lucy Davies (GBR) 21 Hours 22 Minutes (2019)
Watch the Race Live with GB Race Tracker
You can now watch the entire race unfold live thanks to the live tracking we use for this event
GB ULTRAS 100 MILE GRAND SLAM
Take on ALL 4 of our 100 Milers for the Grand Slam Buckle & Hall of Fame
Top 100 finishers earn a Gold ‘Chester Ultra 100’ Buckle, 100-200 finishers earn a Silver 100 Mile Buckle and 201+ finishers earn the Bronze 100 Mile Buckle. There are additional prizes for the Top 3 Male and Top 3 Female finishers!
Chester Ultra 100
EVENT INSTRUCTIONS BRIEF
Full Race details
At Start Venue
Friday 26th May 2023
17:00 – 20:00 – Race Registration at Ellesmere Port Sports Village & Athletics Track (Bib no collection)
Saturday 27th May 2023 - Race Day
04:30 – 05:45 – GB Race Tracker collection & Bib no collection at Event HQ EPSV Athletics Track
06:00 – Race Start
In Association with GB Ultras Running Club, all entrants are invited to join the Team on training runs covering the 2023 Chester Ultra 50 & 100 Mile route prior to Race day. You can attend as many as you like, one day or both days with the aim of learning the route and increasing confidence should any markings go astray come Race day. You’ll also have the chance to meet other runners taking on the Race. There will be a small charge for attending the training runs to help cover costs of run leaders attending.
14/01/2023 – Chester Ultra® Recce 1:
Section covered & distance: Starting from Waverton (Checkpoint 3 on the 50 mile) and taking runners to Frodsham (Checkpoint 6) covering 21 miles of the route.
Start Time: 08:00 - Start/meeting point: Waverton Village Hall (Common Lane, Waverton, CH3 7QT)
Finish point: Costa Coffee (14 Church St, Frodsham WA6 6QL) ... Car sharing: Please opt into the WhatsApp messenger group to secure arrangements.
15/01/2023 – Chester Ultra® Recce 2:
Section covered & distance: Covering 16 miles from Frodsham to Ellesmere Port Sports Village, the Finish Venue for the Race.
Start Time: 08:00 - Start/meeting point: Costa Coffee (14 Church St, Frodsham WA6 6QL).
Finish point: Ellesmere Port Sport Village (Stanney Lane, Ellesmere Port, CH65 9LB). Car sharing: Please opt into the WhatsApp messenger group to secure arrangements.
15/04/2023 - Chester Ultra® 100 Recce 3:
Section covered & distance: Covering Miles 57 to 77 miles and the loop on the second half of the race taking runners from Preston Brook to Warrington, Widnes and Runcorn prior to a finish at Preston Brook - Start time: 08:00 - Start/meeting point/Finish: TBC Preston Brook Village Hall (Sandy Ln, Preston Brook, Runcorn WA7 3AW)
Car Sharing: Not Required.
13/05/2023 - Chester Ultra® 100 Recce 4: NIGHT RECCE
Section covered & distance: Covering Miles 57 to 77 miles and the loop on the second half of the race taking runners from Preston Brook to Warrington, Widnes and Runcorn prior to a finish at Preston Brook - Start time: 18:00 - Start/meeting point/Finish: TBC Preston Brook Village Hall (Sandy Ln, Preston Brook, Runcorn WA7 3AW)
Car Sharing: Not Required.
Recces Priced at £19.99 for 1 day or £34.99 for both days on recce weekend 1 and £19.99 for the recce 3 or 4.
- Fully guided recce run
- Mandatory Kit Advice
- Exclusive group messenger chat for recce and race prep
- Limited edition buff
- Meet the team
- Gain Trail experience and knowledge
Pace wise we’ll be going at a nice gentle pace ensuring all runners stay as a group with brief stops approximately every couple of miles.
Generally our training runs have high attendance and for safety reasons we’ll be imposing a limit depending on feedback.
Please take into account weather conditions closer to the time. We recommend runners refer to the Mandatory kit section and carry sufficient food/water for the duration of each of the runs.
Competitors can now sign-up to the 2023 Event via Paying in Full or using the Instalment Option. The Instalment Option splits the payments into a number of monthly payments.
For more info please email info@GBUltras.com
At least 20 years old + at the time of the race (Rule T3 (141) S5 UKA Trail Running).
In good health
Must have run at least a marathon distance race prior to the event.
This can be for an event not yet taken place but that will be completed prior to Chester Ultra 100 mile start.
All checkpoint's (except CP1 - Water Only) will provide water, refreshments, like cola and juice, and snacks (including vegan snacks). Pasta and soup will also be served at Peckforton Village Hall, Frodsham Community Centre and Sandy Lane Community Centre and hot drinks will also be available at all Indoor Checkpoints.
START - Ellesmere Port Sports Village (EPSV) Athletics Track, Stanney Lane, Ellesmere Port, CH65 9LB.
CHECKPOINT 1 - 8 Miles – CP Location - Tower Rd/Raymond St, Chester, CH1 4EL. SJ 40065 66580.
Cut Off at CP1: 8:33 AM Sat
CHECKPOINT 2 - 14 Miles – CP Location - Eccleston Ferry Parking, Approx CH4 9HP, Chester. SJ 41510 62165.
Cut Off at CP2: 10.28 AM Sat
CHECKPOINT 3 - 20 Miles – CP Location - Waverton Village Hall, Common Lane, Waverton, CH3 7QT. Cut Off at CP3: 1 PM Sat.
CHECKPOINT 4 – 30 Miles – CP Location - Peckforton & Beeston Village Hall, CW6 9TW, SJ53035 55318. – Cut Off at CP4: 3.36 PM Sat.
CHECKPOINT 5 – 42 Miles - CP Location - Delamere Forest Barnsbridge Car-park, Ashton Road, Approx. WA6 6NB. SJ 54172 71588. – Cut Off at CP5: 7:45 PM Sat.
CHECKPOINT 6 – 50 Miles - CP Location - Frodsham Community Centre, Fluin Lane, Frodsham, WA6 7QN. SJ 52172 77924. – Cut Off at CP6: 9:40 PM SAT.
CHECKPOINT 7 – 64 Miles – CP Location - Sandy Lane Community Centre, Sandy Lane, Stockton Heath, Warrington, WA4 2AY. SJ61620 85897. Cut Off at CP7: 01:18 AM SUNDAY.
CHECKPOINT 8 – 71 Miles - CP Location – Spike Island, Visitors Car Park, West Bank, Widnes, Halton, approx. postcode WA8 0QR. SJ 51369 84205. – Cut Off at CP8: 05:18 AM SUNDAY.
CHECKPOINT 9 – 85 Miles – CP Location - Frodsham Community Centre, Fluin Lane, Frodsham, WA6 7QN. SJ 52172 77924. Cut Off at CP9: 09:30AM SUNDAY.
CHECKPOINT 10 – 94 Miles – CP Location - Wheatsheaf Pub, Chester Road, Dunham-on-the-Hill, WA6 0LL. Cut Off at CP10: 12PM SUNDAY. Support Crews: Please be mindful to not park on the main road, please park within the village of Dunham on the Hill.
FINISH – 102 Miles – Ellesmere Port Sports Village (EPSV) Athletics Track, Stanney Lane, Ellesmere Port, CH65 9LB. Cut Off at 14:00 PM Sunday.
There is a 32 hour cut off time for the event.
Cut-Off times per Checkpoint – These conditions include the length of time taken to complete sections of the course and they are implemented by the Event Organisers, GB Ultras, at their discretion, to ensure safe and proper running of the event.
Waterproof coat with sealed seams, i.e. Goretex – Min 10,000mm
Base layer long sleeved (Separate from Start Kit in a dry bag).
Water bottle or bladder - min 1 litre capacity,
Fully charged mobile phone,
Survival/thermal bag or Bivi bag,
Headtorch – Min 75 Lumens,
Backup Light source – Min 25 Lumens (Not your phone),
GPS Tracker (property of GB Race Tracker – given at Race Registration).
A Dropbag is permitted at CP6 (50 Miles) & CP9 (85 Miles) Frodsham Community Centre.
Electrolytes – S-Caps
Please be aware GB Ultras Races Now Cupless! You can buy a GB Ultras reusable cup CLICK HERE to visit the shop.
A Dropbag is permitted at CP6 (50 Miles) & CP9 (87 Miles) Frodsham Community Centre.
ONE DROPBAG IS SUFFICIENT as the location is the same.
Dropbag Size - Max 40cm x 35cm x 40cm (L x W x H) – Small/Medium Pack Up to 30 Litre
Ellesmere Port Sports Village (EPSV) Athletics Track, Stanney Lane, Ellesmere Port, CH65 9LB.
There is ample parking available at the Start & Finish location.
However, its worth giving family and friends a heads up to prepare to find alternative parking in the immediate area. We also promote car sharing where possible. We would strongly advise supporters to make prior arrangements.
GB Ultras Shop
Runners can have their own Support Team/Crew to Support their Race.
At Village Hall locations, no more than two Support Crew members supporting an individual runner are permitted in a Village Hall at any one time. These must not impede the Event team nor other runners. Some of the Village Halls are medium sized Halls so to have 3 or 4 crew members for one runner limits the space.
Support crews must not take the food nor drink from the Village Hall except for their runner unless given permission to do so.
Support Crews must 'respect' Event Staff and are not permitted into the kitchen area unless given permission to do so by the Checkpoint Manager.
Failure to do so will result in the Support crew being asked to leave the Venue and possible time implications or disqualification of the runner.
Further access points due to be released...
Pacers Welcome from Frodsham Community Hall. Only one Pacer at anyone time and the pacer must not carry any of the runners mandatory kit and must be on foot.
Ultra-Marathon Admission Waiver
Each ultra runner agrees and understands the full nature of an Ultra-Marathon. That an Ultra-Marathon involves running throughout the day and well into the night at times with limited rest over challenging terrain with inherent risks of changing weather conditions. Each ultra runner understands that it is their responsibility to adequately train for the event, and monitor their own health throughout and are ultimately responsible for their own safety. Criteria ensures that a runners safety depends on their own skills and abilities and these have been gained from other events placing them in good stead to take on the mental and physical challenges of Chester Ultra.
Each ultra runner understands these are there responsibilities not those of GB Ultras.
Please read these terms and conditions carefully and make sure that you understand them, before placing an entry on our site. By submitting your entry form, you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions ("the Terms"), and by submitting, you declare that you hereby, for yourself, your heirs and executors, administrators, successors, and assigns, declare that:-
1. I hereby agree to comply with the Conditions of Entry and all event rules and regulations as set down by GB Ultras Ltd ("the Event Organisers") a company registered in England and Wales under company number 09397186. These conditions include the length of time taken to complete sections of the course which may be implemented by the Event Organisers, at their discretion, to ensure safe and proper running of the event.
2. I agree that the decision of the Race Referee will be final in all circumstances and no discussion will be entered into.
3. I agree to conduct myself in a sporting, professional and cautious manner during my participation in the event and understand that I may be disqualified if I do not do so.
4. I understand participation in this Event is physically strenuous and demanding and am fully aware of the nature of the event and all associated medical and physical risks involved. I further certify that I am physically capable of competing in this Event and I will only compete if I am fit enough to do so.
5. I will be immediately disqualified from the Event if I am found to have intentionally shortened the route to the race, and found to be deliberately littering the course.
6. If I have any medical condition(s), including allergies, which the Event Organisers or Event medical advisors might need to be aware of, I have provided details of this on my entry form, and will also provide written details of this on the rear of my pin-on numbers prior to my participation in the Event. I agree to display my number at all times during the Event.
7. I acknowledge that my pin-on number is personal to me and it is non-transferable under any circumstances.
8. I understand and agree that I participate in this Event entirely at my own risk, that I must rely on my own ability in dealing with all hazards, and that I must conduct myself in a manner that is safe for myself and all others throughout the duration of this Event.
9. I agree to retire immediately from the event if ordered to do so by the Event Organisers, any government official or member of the emergency services.
10. I accept full liability for any medical expenses incurred as a result of training for and/or participating in the Event
11. I accept that the Event Organisers, sponsors, race officials, medical advisers and any person involved in the organisation of this Event are not liable for any injury or illness or resultant death that I may suffer as a result of my participation in the Event, whether prior to, during or subsequent to the Event. I enter the race entirely at my own risk. I renounce any rights and claims for damages that I may have against the Event Organisers, sponsors, race officials, medical advisers and any person involved in the organisation of this Event together with their officers, directors, shareholders, successors and assigns, (collectively, "Releasees") and release them from all liability to the Participant and his/her personal representatives, assigns, heirs, executors, and successors for loss(es), damage(s) and claims therefor on account of injury to Participant or his/her property or the resultant death of Participant, whether caused by the active or passive negligence of the Releasees or otherwise, in connection with Participants involvement in the Event ("Losses"), and further covenants not to sue any of the aforementioned parties for such Losses.
12. Whilst the Event Organisers take every care with the staging of the Event, I accept that I must make all reasonable precautions for the safeguarding of my person and of my property during my participation in this Event. I further acknowledge that personal accident and personal items insurance is my responsibility.
13. I understand that at registration, I must produce photographic identification.
14. I am aware that when running, the function of the marshals is only to indicate direction and that I must decide if the movement is safe.
15. I accept that, in relation to my participation in this Event, I am required to obey instructions from marshals and relevant signage before, during and after the Event.
16. The Event Organisers introduce cut off times for completion of sections of the course as they see fit. These will be made clear prior to the race. Competitors may be instructed to withdraw from the Event in accordance with the imposed cut off times.
17. I accept that the Event Organisers reserve the right to amend the event format or cancel the Event due to health and safety reasons, including storm, rain, inclement weather, winds or any other act of god conditions. I accept that my Entry fee shall be non-refundable in this circumstance as costs have already been incurred.
18. I accept that the Event Organisers will do their utmost to provide me with a finish time following my completion of the Event, however they will not be held responsible for any computer result anomalies.
19. I will be 20 years old or over on the day of the Event (Rule T3 (141) S5 UKA Trail Running).
20. I have read, understood and accept the GB Ultras Ltd Withdrawal Policy.
21. I understand that confirmed entry to this event is dependent on a fully and accurately completed online Entry Form; and receipt of payment to cover my Entry fee at least 10 working days (2 weeks) in advance of the event. If either of these conditions is not fulfilled then my entry will not be valid nor accepted, and I will not be eligible to take part in the Event.
22. Through my completion and submission of the online Entry Form, I am committing to paying for my Event entry via the means as instructed on the GB Ultras Ltd website.
23. I irrevocably consent to my appearance in any media format, in relation to the publicity of this Event, and in future publicity and advertising of GB Ultras Ltd; provided that such use does not imply my direct endorsement of any official sponsor or suppliers of the Event.
24. All decisions and rulings by the Event Organisers, its employees and its agents are considered final.
25. The Event Organisers reserve the right to vary these conditions by giving notice to in writing in any official event material or correspondence prior to the Event.
26. A person who is not party to these Terms shall not have any rights under or in connection with them under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999.
27. We will not be liable or responsible for any failure to perform, or delay in performance of, any of our obligations under the Terms that is caused by events outside our reasonable control (Force Majeure Event).
A Force Majeure Event includes any act, event, non-happening, omission or accident beyond our reasonable control and includes in particular (without limitation) the following: strikes, lock-outs or other industrial action; civil commotion, riot, invasion, terrorist attack or threat of terrorist attack, war (whether declared or not) or threat or preparation for war; fire, explosion, storm, flood, earthquake, subsidence, epidemic or other natural disaster; impossibility of the use of railways, shipping, aircraft, motor transport or other means of public or private transport; impossibility of the use of public or private telecommunications networks; the acts, decrees, legislation, regulations or restrictions of any government; and pandemic or epidemic.
28. You agree that we may publish your Personal Information as part of the results of the Event and may pass such information to the governing body or any affiliated organisation for the purpose of insurance, licences or for publishing results either for the event alone or combined with or compared to other events. Results may include (but not be limited to) name, any club affiliation, race times, occupation and age category. You consent that your details maybe passed onto GB Race Tracker Ltd and Race Tracker AS to ensure the smooth and accurate running of the Tracking software. Your details may also be passed onto 3rd parties via Live tracking so that your family and friends and the general public can follow every entrants position during the Race.
29. Should a GPS Tracker be damaged, lost or stolen then the entrant agrees to cover the cost of the tracker which is £150 + VAT per GPS tracker.
30. Upon withdrawal or completion of the Race, the runner agrees to return the GPS tracker to the Race Organiser. If a GPS tracker is not returned to a dedicated Race Marshal at Race HQ then the runner will be charged £150 + VAT.
31. I have read, understood and accept the GB Ultras Ltd Withdrawal Policy.
If you see a runner experiencing difficulties please inform Checkpoint Marshals. Each runner should have RACE HQ mobile numbers stored in their phone (shared in the Race Instructions email in the weeks prior to the event).
It is the role of the entrant to be self-sufficient. Should an incident occur, our team will endeavour to reach any participant in difficulty as quickly as possible, with Event staff stationed in hard to reach locations. Phones must be used only in an emergency to conserve battery power should the need arise.
Participants who lose time helping another fallen participant, can claim this time back, subject to RD discretion and under the proviso of completing within RD agreed conditions. Please note any extended time will be ‘within’ the cut-offs of the event, due to event staffing, medical cover and venue hire.
GB Race Tracker provide the Live Online GPS Tracking for the event with updates on participant positions approximately every 2 minutes (subject to signal). On the front of each tracker is an SOS button which when pressed immediately alerts the Race Director & Race HQ that urgent help is required who can then act accordingly.
In the event of a Medical Emergency please call 999 and then inform Race HQ.
In an Emergency where there is a risk to life or limb, please follow these instructions:
- Please use your foil blanket/thermal bag and use any warm clothing that you are carrying.
- Trigger the SOS button on your tracker by holding the button on the front of the tracker down gently for 3 seconds
- In an Emergency call 999 and ask for an Ambulance
- Call Race HQ and inform the team of the Emergency - we may have a medical team close by.
Withdrawal Prior to the Race
Due to the nature of the event HIRING venues throughout the region and committing to tracking costs, medical contracts, permit fees and suppliers; costs are incurred as soon as a participant signs up, therefore NO refunds are possible in this event. However, GB Ultras understand injuries do occur so would URGE ALL RUNNERS to take out DOGTAG PERSONAL MEDICAL COVER or BMC Personal Cover to help claim back the entry fee (due to injury) and thus following the insurance companies refund process. ADMIN FEE link > https://www.gbultras.com/product/admin-fee-gbultras/
Please be aware that the Insurance Company determines whether the nature of your injury will necessitate a refund. Any deferrals to the 2023 Race must be done 8 weeks prior to the event, however, transfers are possible up until 3 weeks before the Race day providing qualifying criteria is met. Participants are only allowed to defer for 1 year and CANNOT transfer between events.
Any deferrals to the 2023 Race must be done 8 weeks prior to the event at a cost of £12 due to costs incurred.
Transfers are possible up until 3 weeks before the Race day providing qualifying criteria is met (marathon experience) at a cost of £12.
Transfer to another runner
Withdrawal During the Race
Unless medically unable, you should only be withdrawing from the Race at a Checkpoint Only. It is not our responsibility to pick up a runner short of a Checkpoint. Please inform a GB Ultras Race Marshal or the Race Director of your withdrawal. This will ensure all participants who are registered and pull out of the race are accounted for, allowing for the accurate and safe running of the event. If a participant withdraws at a Checkpoint they must hand over their RACE NUMBER AND GPS TRACKER to Race Staff to signal their retirement. A sweeper after the cut off time will take retired participants to the Finish Venue, there may well be a wait to be picked up and there may well be other Checkpoints called at along the way. Although, ultimately decisions to continue are in the hands of the runner, GB Ultras reserve the right to pull any participant out of the race on health grounds.
Want to join the GB Ultras Shop? Head over to the Shop now!