Ultra Scotland® 100 Mile
Take on 100 historic miles across the beautiful Southern Upland Way. Starting at St John's Town of Dalry and finishing in Melrose, ultrarunners will take on some of the greatest trails in Britain including the ascent of Benbrake, Gateshaw Rig, Lowther Hill (701m) and Minch Moor.
The race also takes in wonderful trails at the Daer Reservoir, Three Brethren and St Mary's loch. A Landmark Race with GB Ultras support and Live Online Tracking via GB Race Tracker. The trail is way-marked as one of Scotland’s Great Trails and is a UTMB Qualifying Race.
SATURDAY 10TH JUNE 2023
Mens PB - Paulius Peciura (GBR): 22 Hours, 27 Minutes, 37 seconds (2022)
Ladies PB - No record yet set
Watch the Race Live with GB Race Tracker
You can now watch the entire race unfold live thanks to the live tracking we use for this event
GB ULTRAS 100 MILE GRAND SLAM
Take on ALL 4 of our 100 Milers for the Grand Slam Medal & Hall of Fame
UTMB POINTS SYSTEM!
Support teams are welcome throughout and pacers are permitted from 50 Miles onwards.
Top 100 Finishers earn Gold. 101-200 Placed Finishers earn Silver. And 201+ Finishers earn the beautiful Bronze Buckle.
Brilliant Support, Live Online GPS Tracking and the team will transport your dropbags (given to ourselves at Registration and awaiting your arrival at set Checkpoints) and Start line bag to the finish venue. Optional Coach travel back to the Start is also available. 4907m of ascent.
Ultra Scotland 100
Ready for the challenge?
Great, you can pay in full or in instalments below.
EVENT INSTRUCTIONS BRIEF
Full Race details
Competitors can now sign-up to the 2022 Event via Paying in Full or using the Instalment Option. The Instalment Option splits the payments into a number of monthly payments.
For more info please email info@GBUltras.com
Earlstoun Estate – DG7 3SR –
There is parking available on the Earltoun Estate behind St Johns Town of Dalry Village Hall, (What 3 words location – tightrope.sensible.alright). To gain access to the event field please follow the A713 Ayr Road past the Town Hall and past the fuel station to the next left turn approximately a quarter of a mile further along the road until the junction with the A762. Event parking access is available shortly after this turn.
Southern Upland Way
St Johns Town of Dalry Town Hall, Ayr Road, DG7 3SW
At the St Johns Town of Dalry Town Hall:
St Johns Town of Dalry, Ayr Road, DG7 3SW.
Friday 9th June 2023
5.00pm – 9.00pm Race Registration - Bib No Collection
Saturday 10th June 2023 – Race Day
4.30am – 5.45am GB Race Tracker Collection & Bib No Collection.
6:00am - Race Mass Start 100 Mile.
At least 20 years old + on Race-day (Rule T3 (141) S5 UKA Trail Running) & in good health.
Entrants must have completed at least a 50 mile ultra-marathon prior to taking on the 100 Mile Ultra Scotland. Please email info@GBUltras.com with any questions.
Optional Transport back to the Start Venue Available on Sign Up
All entrants are invited to join the Team on training runs covering Ultra Scotland 2023 route prior to Race day along the Southern Upland Way. You can attend as many as you like, one day or both days with the aim of learning the most of the route and increasing confidence should for Race day. You’ll also have the chance to meet other runners taking on the Race.
11/02/2023 – Race Across Scotland®, Ultra Scotland® 50 & 100 Mile RECCE 1:
Section covered & distance: St Johns Town of Dalry to Sanquhar 26 Miles – Start time: 08:00 – Start/meeting point: St John’s Town of Dalry Town Hall, DG7 3SW (Checkpoint 4 Ultra GB).
Finish Point: Sanquhar Town Hall, DG4 6DF. Car Sharing: Required.
12/02/2023 – Race Across Scotland®, Ultra Scotland® 50 & 100 Mile RECCE 2:
Section covered & distance: Sanquhar to Beattock 26 Miles – Start time: 08:00 – Start/meeting point: Sanquhar Town Hall, DG4 6DF.
Finish Point: Beattock Village Hall, DG10 9QZ (Checkpoint 7 Ultra GB). Car Sharing: Required.
13/05/2023 – Race Across Scotland®, Ultra Scotland® 50 & 100 Mile – Scotland RECCE 3:
Section covered & distance: Beattock to St Marys Loch – Start time: 08:00 – Start/meeting point: Beattock Village Hall, DG10 9QZ.
Finish Point: St Mary's Loch, The Glen Cafe, St Mary’s Loch, TD7 5LH. Car Sharing: Required.
14/05/2023 – Race Across Scotland®, Ultra Scotland® 50 & 100 Mile Scotland RECCE 4:
Section covered & distance: Traquair to Galashiels 20 Miles – Start time: 08:00 – Start/meeting point: Traquair Village Hall, 1 The Field, Traquair, Innerleithen, EH44 6PJ.
Finish Point: Langlee Community Centre, Marigold Drive, Galashiels, TD1 2LP. Car Sharing: Required.
The training runs have limited places.
Recces Priced at £19.99 for 1 day or £34.99 for both days
- Fully guided recce run
- Mandatory Kit Advice
- Exclusive group messenger chat for recce and race prep
- Limited edition buff
- Meet the team
- Gain Trail experience and knowledge
Pace wise we’ll be going at a nice gentle pace ensuring all runners stay as a group with brief stops approximately every couple of miles.
Generally our training runs have high attendance and for safety reasons we’ll be imposing a limit depending on feedback.
Please take into account weather conditions closer to the time. We recommend runners refer to the Mandatory kit section and carry sufficient food/water for the duration of each of the runs.
Harvey Maps: Southern Upland Way (Hard copy)
Waterproof coat with sealed seams – Min 10,000mm
Base Plate Compass
Base layer long sleeved (Separate from Start Kit in a dry bag) in your pack.
Water bottle or bladder - min 1 litre capacity
Fully charged mobile phone
Survival/thermal bag or Bivi Bag
Headtorch min 75 Lumens
Back up light source min 25 Lumens (Not your Phone)
Emergency Rations min of 500 calories
GPS Tracker (property of GB Race Tracker).
Electrolytes – S-caps
Hat & Gloves
First aid kit
Checkpoint 1 – 8 Miles – Stroanpatrick/Culmark, B729, DG7 3UE. NX64020 91703. Cut Off 8:56am Saturday... No Support Crews Permitted.
Emergency Shelter – 18 Miles – Chalk Memorial Bothy – Poleskeoch NS 68585 01850... No Support Crews Permitted.
Checkpoint 2 – 26 Miles - Sanquhar Town Hall. NS 78075 10110. Cut Off 3:32pm Saturday.
Checkpoint 3 – 34 Miles - Wanlockhead Community Centre, Church Street, ML12 6UT. NS87400 12950. Cut-off 6:28pm Saturday.
Checkpoint 4 – 40 Miles. A702, Biggar, ML12 6TH – Large passing place. NS 93125 10035. Cut-off 8:40pm Saturday. No Support Crews Permitted.
Checkpoint 5 – 55 Miles - (CP LOCATION CHANGE) Moffat Rugby Club, The Holm, Moffat, DG10 9QJ.
. Cut off 00:00am Sunday.
Emergency Shelter/Additional Water – 65 Miles – Over Phawhope Bothy. NT18180 08145.
Checkpoint 6 – 71 Miles. Boston Memorial Hall, Scabcleuch, Ettrick, Selkirk, TD7 5JB. NT26615 14473. Cut off 08:47am Sunday.
Support Access Point – 76 Miles – The Glen Cafe, St Mary’s Loch, TD7 5LH. NT23753 20382. 10am – 5pm (Kitchen closes at 4pm).
Checkpoint 7 – 89 Miles – Traquair Village Hall, 1 The Field, Traquair, Innerleithen, EH44 6PJ. Cut off 15:35pm Sunday.
Checkpoint 8 – 98 Miles – Fairnilee Hut, Beside the River Tweed, B7060, Approx. TD1 3PR/TD1 3PP. Cut off 18:58pm Sunday.
Finish - 106 Miles - Langlee Community Centre, Marigold Drive, Galashiels, TD1 2LP. Cut off 20:00pm Sunday.
100 Mile Runners can utilise Dropbag facilities at CP5, CP6 & the Finish.
Dropbags will be transported to the Finish line for runners to collect at Tweedbank Athletics & Sports Centre.
Checkpoint 5 & 6 – Small/Medium Pack Up to 30 Litre
Finish line – Medium Holdall
Optional coach travel back to St John's Town of Dalry is available at a cost of £27.99
Coach departs Langlee Community Centre on Sunday 11th June 2022 at 8pm & arrives at St Johns Town of Dalry at 11pm
If you see a runner experiencing difficulties please inform Checkpoint Marshals. Each runner should have RACE HQ mobile numbers stored in their phone (shared in Race Instructions closer to the time of the event).
It is the role of the entrant to be self-sufficient. Should an incident occur, our team will endeavour to reach any participant in difficulty as quickly as possible, with marshal's stationed in hard to reach locations. Phones must be used only in an emergency to conserve battery power should the need arise.
Participants who lose time helping another fallen participant, struggling against the cut off time due to this reason, can claim this time back, subject to RD discretion and under the proviso of completing within their new, extended cut off period. This may not always be possible due to various factors, i.e. checkpoint and medical team staffing.
GB Race Tracker provide the Live Online GPS Tracking for the event with updates on participant positions approximately every 2 minutes (subject to signal). On the front of each tracker is an SOS button which when pressed immediately alerts the Race Director & Race HQ that urgent help is required who can then act accordingly.
In the event of a Medical Emergency please call 999 first and then inform Race HQ.
Each runner will have supplied an up to date emergency contact to extract them from the race on sign up and in the lead up to the race.
Depending on the location, no more than one or two Support Crews members supporting an individual runner are permitted in a Village Hall at any one time, these must not impede Village Halls nor other runners and further Info will be provided to Crews closer to the event indicating where the Crews are permitted. Some of the Village Halls are medium sized Halls so to have 3 or 4 crew members for one runner limits the space. Support crews must not take the food nor drink from the Village Hall except for their runner unless given permission to do so. Support Crews must respect Event Staff and are not permitted into the kitchen area unless given permission to do so by the Checkpoint Manager. Failure to do so will result in the Support crew being asked to leave the Venue and possible time implications or disqualification of the runner. During night time periods or if it is obvious runners are sleeping at the Hall it is essential that Support crews respect runners and keep their voices quiet or they will be asked to leave the venue.
Support Crews Permitted from Checkpoint 2 – Sanquhar Community Centre.
For those with a Support Crew, at Race Registration, we require a Name and Contact Number for your Support Crew.
All runners are permitted to have a Support Crew from Checkpoint 3 onwards (unless stated otherwise - please ensure that your Support Crew abides by the Rules of each CP).
Ultra-Marathon Admission Waiver
Each ultra runner agrees and understands the full nature of an Ultra-Marathon. That an Ultra-Marathon involves running throughout the day and well into the night at times with limited rest over challenging terrain with inherent risks of changing weather conditions. Each ultra runner understands that it is their responsibility to adequately train for the event, and monitor their own health throughout and are ultimately responsible for their own safety.
Each ultra runner understands these are there responsibilities not those of GB Ultras.
Please read these terms and conditions carefully and make sure that you understand them, before placing an entry on our site. By submitting your entry form, you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions ("the Terms"), and by submitting, you declare that you hereby, for yourself, your heirs and executors, administrators, successors, and assigns, declare that:-
1. I hereby agree to comply with the Conditions of Entry and all event rules and regulations as set down by GB Ultras Ltd ("the Event Organisers") a company registered in England and Wales under company number 09397186. These conditions include the length of time taken to complete sections of the course which may be implemented by the Event Organisers, at their discretion, to ensure safe and proper running of the event.
2. I agree that the decision of the Race Referee will be final in all circumstances and no discussion will be entered into.
3. I agree to conduct myself in a sporting, professional and cautious manner during my participation in the event and understand that I may be disqualified if I do not do so.
4. I understand participation in this Event is physically strenuous and demanding and am fully aware of the nature of the event and all associated medical and physical risks involved. I further certify that I am physically capable of competing in this Event and I will only compete if I am fit enough to do so.
5. I will be immediately disqualified from the Event if I am found to have intentionally shortened the route to the race, and found to be deliberately littering the course.
6. If I have any medical condition(s), including allergies, which the Event Organisers or Event medical advisors might need to be aware of, I have provided details of this on my entry form, and will also provide written details of this on the rear of my pin-on numbers prior to my participation in the Event. I agree to display my number at all times during the Event.
7. I acknowledge that my pin-on number is personal to me and it is non-transferable under any circumstances.
8. I understand and agree that I participate in this Event entirely at my own risk, that I must rely on my own ability in dealing with all hazards, and that I must conduct myself in a manner that is safe for myself and all others throughout the duration of this Event.
9. I agree to retire immediately from the event if ordered to do so by the Event Organisers, any government official or member of the emergency services.
10. I accept full liability for any medical expenses incurred as a result of training for and/or participating in the Event
11. I accept that the Event Organisers, sponsors, race officials, medical advisers and any person involved in the organisation of this Event are not liable for any injury or illness or resultant death that I may suffer as a result of my participation in the Event, whether prior to, during or subsequent to the Event. I enter the race entirely at my own risk. I renounce any rights and claims for damages that I may have against the Event Organisers, sponsors, race officials, medical advisers and any person involved in the organisation of this Event together with their officers, directors, shareholders, successors and assigns, (collectively, "Releasees") and release them from all liability to the Participant and his/her personal representatives, assigns, heirs, executors, and successors for loss(es), damage(s) and claims therefor on account of injury to Participant or his/her property or the resultant death of Participant, whether caused by the active or passive negligence of the Releasees or otherwise, in connection with Participants involvement in the Event ("Losses"), and further covenants not to sue any of the aforementioned parties for such Losses.
12. Whilst the Event Organisers take every care with the staging of the Event, I accept that I must make all reasonable precautions for the safeguarding of my person and of my property during my participation in this Event. I further acknowledge that personal accident and personal items insurance is my responsibility.
13. I understand that at registration, I must produce photographic identification.
14. I am aware that when running, the function of the marshals is only to indicate direction and that I must decide if the movement is safe.
15. I accept that, in relation to my participation in this Event, I am required to obey instructions from marshals and relevant signage before, during and after the Event.
16. The Event Organisers introduce cut off times for completion of sections of the course as they see fit. These will be made clear prior to the race. Competitors may be instructed to withdraw from the Event in accordance with the imposed cut off times.
17. I accept that the Event Organisers reserve the right to amend the event format or cancel the Event due to health and safety reasons, including storm, rain, inclement weather, winds or any other act of god conditions. I accept that my Entry fee shall be non-refundable in this circumstance as costs have already been incurred.
18. I accept that the Event Organisers will do their utmost to provide me with a finish time following my completion of the Event, however they will not be held responsible for any computer result anomalies.
19. I will be 20 years old or over on the day of the Event (Rule T3 (141) S5 UKA Trail Running).
20. I have read, understood and accept the GB Ultras Ltd Withdrawal Policy.
21. I understand that confirmed entry to this event is dependent on a fully and accurately completed online Entry Form; and receipt of payment to cover my Entry fee at least 10 working days (2 weeks) in advance of the event. If either of these conditions is not fulfilled then my entry will not be valid nor accepted, and I will not be eligible to take part in the Event.
22. Through my completion and submission of the online Entry Form, I am committing to paying for my Event entry via the means as instructed on the GB Ultras Ltd website.
23. I irrevocably consent to my appearance in any media format, in relation to the publicity of this Event, and in future publicity and advertising of GB Ultras Ltd; provided that such use does not imply my direct endorsement of any official sponsor or suppliers of the Event.
24. All decisions and rulings by the Event Organisers, its employees and its agents are considered final.
25. The Event Organisers reserve the right to vary these conditions by giving notice to in writing in any official event material or correspondence prior to the Event.
26. A person who is not party to these Terms shall not have any rights under or in connection with them under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999.
27. We will not be liable or responsible for any failure to perform, or delay in performance of, any of our obligations under the Terms that is caused by events outside our reasonable control.
A Force Majeure Event includes any act, event, non-happening, omission or accident beyond our reasonable control and includes in particular (without limitation) the following: strikes, lock-outs or other industrial action; civil commotion, riot, invasion, terrorist attack or threat of terrorist attack, war (whether declared or not) or threat or preparation for war; fire, explosion, storm, flood, earthquake, subsidence, epidemic or other natural disaster; impossibility of the use of railways, shipping, aircraft, motor transport or other means of public or private transport; impossibility of the use of public or private telecommunications networks; the acts, decrees, legislation, regulations or restrictions of any government; and pandemic or epidemic.
28. You agree that we may publish your Personal Information as part of the results of the Event and may pass such information to the governing body or any affiliated organisation for the purpose of insurance, licences or for publishing results either for the event alone or combined with or compared to other events. Results may include (but not be limited to) name, any club affiliation, race times, occupation and age category. You consent that your details maybe passed onto GB Race Tracker Ltd and Race Tracker AS to ensure the smooth and accurate running of the Tracking software. Your details may also be passed onto 3rd parties via Live tracking so that your family and friends and the general public can follow every entrants position during the Race.
29. Should a GPS Tracker be damaged, lost or stolen then the entrant agrees to cover the cost of the tracker which is £150 + VAT per GPS tracker.
30. Upon withdrawal or completion of the Race, the runner agrees to return the GPS tracker to the Race Organiser. If a GPS tracker is not returned to a dedicated Race Marshal at Race HQ then the runner will be charged £150 + VAT.
31. I have read, understood and accept the GB Ultras Ltd Withdrawal Policy.
Prior to the race – Due to the nature of the event HIRING Village Halls across Scotland and committing to Tracking Costs, Medical Contracts, permit fees and Suppliers, costs are incurred as soon as a participant signs up, NO refunds are possible in this event. However, GB Ultras understand injuries do occur so would URGE ALL RUNNERS to take out DOGTAG PERSONAL MEDICAL COVER or BMC Personal Cover to help claim back the entry fee (due to injury) and thus following the insurance companies process. Please be aware that the Insurance Company determines whether the nature of your injury will necessitate a refund.
Any deferrals to the 2023 Race must be done 8 weeks prior to the event at a cost of £12 due to costs incurred.
Transfers are possible up until 3 weeks before the Race day providing qualifying criteria is met (marathon experience) at a cost of £12.
Participants are only allowed to defer for 1 year and cannot transfer between events. ADMIN FEE link > https://www.gbultras.com/product/admin-fee-gbultras/
Transfer to another runner
During the race – Unless medically unable, you should only be withdrawing from the Race at a Checkpoint Only. It is not our responsibility to pick up a runner short of a Checkpoint. Please inform a GB Ultras Race Marshal or the Race Director of your withdrawal. This will ensure all participants who are registered and pull out of the race are accounted for, allowing for the accurate and safe running of the event. If a participant withdraws at a Checkpoint they must hand over their RACE NUMBER AND GPS TRACKER to Race Staff to signal their retirement. A sweeper after the cut off time will take retired participants to the Finish Venue, there may well be a wait to be picked up and there may well be other Checkpoints called at along the way. Although ultimately decisions to continue are in the hands of the runner, GB Ultras reserve the right to pull any participant out of the race on health grounds.
Become a valued member of the Ultra Scotland team supporting runners at checkpoints during the race! Experience the event from the other side and make a difference!
Race Marshal roles are designated prior to the event with different roles to suit the individual. Event costs can also be waived for the same event in the following year providing criteria of a minimum 6 hours volunteering (50 Mile) or minimum of 12 hours volunteering (100 Mile) is met. Food & Refreshments are also available at Checkpoints throughout the event for marshals along with a tech tee shirt (subject to availability). Its an amazing feeling to support runners as all of the runners are exceptionally grateful of your fundamental part in their race experience.
To apply to become an event marshal for one of our events at please complete and submit your details on the Volunteer form on our website https://www.GBUltras.com/volunteer/ .
GB Ultras Shop
Take a look at the GB Ultras Shop? Head over to the online Store now!