Snowdon Ultra® 100 Mile
The Return of the Incredible Snowdon Ultra® 100 Mile Race! With Checkpoints spanning Snowdonia National Park & 5483m of Ascent over 100 stunning miles and over the beautiful mountains of Snowdonia Eryri! This is GB Ultras support at its very best throughout.
The 100 Mile route leaves Betws-y-Coed (finish line for the 50 mile event) and heads to Beddgelert via the Snowdonia Slate Trail leaving the trail for ascents of Cnicht (689m) before heading through Nant Gwynant Valley passing Sygun Copper Mine, Llyn Dinas and Llyn Gwynant. Runners then finish the race with the ascent of Moel Siabod.
Live online GPS tracking (via GB Race Tracker) follows the runners along the course. The race is classed as a Navigation Event.
SATURDAY 2ND SEPTEMBER 2023
Mens PB - Ben Wernick (GBR) 27:44:17 (hh:mm:ss) - 2022
Ladies PB - Helen Rennie (GBR) 36:54:37 (hh:mm:ss) - 2022
Watch the Race Live with GB Race Tracker
You can now watch the entire race unfold live thanks to the live tracking we use for this event
GB ULTRAS 100 MILE GRAND SLAM
Take on ALL 4 of our 100 Milers for the Grand Slam Buckle & Hall of Fame
UTMB POINTS SYSTEM!
EVENT INSTRUCTIONS BRIEF
Full Race details
At Start Venue
Friday 1st September 2023
5.00pm – 9.00pm Race Registration - Bib No Collection.
Saturday 2nd September 2023 – Race Day
4.30am – 5.45am GB Race Tracker Collection & Bib No Collection.
6.00am - Race Start 100 Mile (Mass Start).
6.15am - Race Start 50 Mile (Mass Start).
All 'entrants' are invited to join the Team on training runs covering key sections of the Snowdon Ultra® route prior to Race day. You can attend as many as you like, one day or both days of any given training weekend with the aim of learning the route and increasing confidence come Race day. You’ll also have the chance to meet other runners taking on the Race. Training runs will have a small charge for attendance.
5/8/2023 – Snowdon Ultra – RECCE 1:
Section covered & distance: Tryfan’s Heather Terrace and joining the trails to Snowdon Summit and down to CP2/3 - 14 Miles – Start time: 08:00 – Start/meeting point: Outside of Gwern Gof Uchaf (Parking available on the large lay-by outside of the campsite), Capel Curig, LL24 0EU.
Finish Point: Checkpoint at Llyn Pen-y-Gwryd Car Park (Pay and Display - coins needed), nr to Pen Y Gwryd Hotel, LL55 4NT. Car Sharing: Required.
6/8/2023 – Snowdon Ultra - RECCE 2:
Section covered & distance: Covering miles 23 – 46 miles of the route including the Glyder Fawr, Glyder Fach, Devils Kitchen, and then joining the Snowdonia Slate Trail to Crimpiau, Llyn Crafnant & Llyn Geirionydd before finishing at Betws-y-Coed – Start time: 08:00 – Start/meeting point: Llyn Pen-y-Gwryd Car Park, nr to Pen Y Gwryd Hotel, LL55 4NT.
Finish Point: Gwern Gof Uchaf, Capel Curig, LL24 0EU – parking at layby outside of campsite. Car Sharing: Required.
Recces Priced at £19.99 for 1 day or £34.99 for both days
- Fully guided recce run
- Mandatory Kit Advice
- Exclusive group messenger chat for recce and race prep
- Limited edition buff
- Meet the team
- Gain Trail experience and knowledge
Pace wise we’ll be going at a nice gentle pace ensuring all runners stay as a group with brief stops approximately every mile.
Generally our training runs have high attendance and for safety reasons we’ll be imposing a limit depending on feedback.
Weather conditions can change very quickly in the mountains so we recommend runners refer to the Mandatory kit section and carry sufficient food/water for the duration of each of the runs. No overnight accommodation is included. However, runners may be interested to learn that Gwern Gof Isaf (Checkpoint during the race itself) is a Campsite and would be a good choice for overnight stops. There's also Gwern Gof Uchaf Campsite closer to Tryfan too.
Competitors can now sign-up to the 2023 Event via Paying in Full or using the Instalment Option.
The Instalment Option splits the payments into a number of monthly payments.
Upon Set up of the Direct Debit, the GB Ultras team will contact the participant via email within approximately 72 hours to complete the Entry sign up process.
For more info please email info@GBUltras.com
LOW LEVEL - DECISIONS WILL BE BASED ON THE MOUNTAIN EXPERIENCE OF THE EVENT SAFETY TEAM AS WELL AS ADVICE FROM MOUNTAIN RESCUE, 3RD PARTY BODIES, THE EXISTING LEVEL OF MANDATORY KIT, MEDICAL TEAMS, MOUNTAIN WEATHER FORECAST AND OTHER CONTRIBUTING FACTORS.
Snowdon Ultra 100 has 9 Checkpoints en route with the principle aim of maintaining the highest level of support possible.
Cut-Off times per Checkpoint – These conditions include the length of time taken to complete sections of the course and they are implemented by the Event Organisers, GB Ultras, at their discretion, to the ensure safe and proper running of the event.
There is a 42 hour cut off time for the event.
The locations of the Checkpoints are:
Checkpoint 1: 9 Miles SH68510 60202 Gwern Gof Isaf, LL24 0EU
Checkpoint 2: 13 Miles SH66150 55920 Llyn Pen-y-Gwryd Car Park, LL55 4NT
Checkpoint 3: 23 Miles SH66150 55920 Llyn Pen-y-Gwryd Car Park, LL55 4NT
Checkpoint 4: 28 Miles SH64968 60372 Pont Pen-y-Benglog, LL57 3LZ
Checkpoint 5: 38 Miles SH75665 61843 Llyn Crafnant Car Park, approx. LL27 0YX
50 Mile Finish/Checkpoint 6: SH79450 56498 Betws-y-Coed Village Green
Checkpoint 7: 64 Miles SH 70054 41947 Neuadd Ffestiniog Village Hall, Blaenau Ffestiniog, LL41 4PB
Checkpoint 8: 76 Miles SH63149 44686 Croesor Car Park, Gwynedd, Wales, LL48 6SR
Checkpoint 9: 81 Miles SH 58957 48172. Beddgelert Community Hall, A4085, Aberglaslyn Hall, Beddgelert, Gwynedd, LL55 4UY.
Finish – 100 Miles SH79450 56498 Betws-y-Coed Village Green – Cut off 00:00am Monday (42 hours)
Hardcopy Map: Ordnance Survey (OS Explorer): Map OL17 Snowdon/Yr Wyddfa & OL18 Harlech, Porthmadog & Y Bala or Harveys Map XT25 Snowdonia North (please note the OS version has greater detail but is more bulky).
Waterproof coat with sealed seams, i.e. Goretex – Min 10,000mm
Base Plate Compass
2 x Base layer long sleeved (1 x Must be separate from Start Kit in a dry bag)
Water bottle or bladder -min 1 litre capacity,
Fully charged mobile phone (in clear waterproof bag),
Survival/thermal bag or Bivi bag (Foil Blanket not sufficient),
Headtorch – Min 75 Lumens,
Emergency Rations – Min 500 Calories,
Backup Light source – Min 25 Lumens (Not your phone),
GPS Tracker (provided by GB Race Tracker at Race Registration beside the Start line prior to the Race).
Wet weather kit is now a mandatory requirement:
Electrolytes – S-Caps
First Aid Kit.
GPS Personal Handheld Navigator,
Please be aware GB Ultras Races Now Cupless! You can buy a GB Ultras reusable cup CLICK HERE to visit the shop.
Please car share wherever possible to minimise the carbon footprint as much as possible. 'Long Stay' 24 hour Pay & Display parking is available for just £6 at Betws-y-Coed (Car park takes card payments but please bring the correct change just in case there is a fault, as it's very unlikely you'll find anything open so early on Race day).
Alternatively, those travelling up on the Friday prior to Race day might be able to make arrangements with their hotel, should they be staying locally.
In order to further support runners taking on the 100 Mile Race, Entrants can also utilise a Dropbag facility.
Please ensure Dropbag's are labelled and handed in at Race Registration on the Saturday morning.
Dropbag 1: CP6 - SH79450 56498 Betws-y-Coed Village Green – Cae Llan, Station Road, Betws-Y-Coed, LL24 0AE. Cut off 6.15am Sunday
Dropbag 2: CP9 - 88 Miles SH58781 48129. Beddgelert Community Hall - A4085, Aberglaslyn Hall, Beddgelert, Gwynedd, LL55 4UY.
Ultra-Marathon Admission Waiver
Each ultra runner agrees and understands the full nature of an Ultra-Marathon. That an Ultra-Marathon involves running throughout the day and well into the night at times with limited rest over challenging terrain with inherent risks of changing weather conditions. Each ultra runner understands that it is their responsibility to adequately train for the event, and monitor their own health throughout and are ultimately responsible for their own safety. Criteria ensures that a runners safety depends on their own skills and abilities and these have been gained from other events placing them in good stead to take on the mental and physical challenges of Snowdon Ultra.
Each ultra runner understands these are there responsibilities not those of GB Ultras.
Please read these terms and conditions carefully and make sure that you understand them, before placing an entry on our site. By submitting your entry form, you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions ("the Terms"), and by submitting, you declare that you hereby, for yourself, your heirs and executors, administrators, successors, and assigns, declare that:-
1. I hereby agree to comply with the Conditions of Entry and all event rules and regulations as set down by GB Ultras Ltd ("the Event Organisers") a company registered in England and Wales under company number 09397186. These conditions include the length of time taken to complete sections of the course which may be implemented by the Event Organisers, at their discretion, to ensure safe and proper running of the event.
2. I agree that the decision of the Race Referee will be final in all circumstances and no discussion will be entered into.
3. I agree to conduct myself in a sporting, professional and cautious manner during my participation in the event and understand that I may be disqualified if I do not do so.
4. I understand participation in this Event is physically strenuous and demanding and am fully aware of the nature of the event and all associated medical and physical risks involved. I further certify that I am physically capable of competing in this Event and I will only compete if I am fit enough to do so.
5. I will be immediately disqualified from the Event if I am found to have intentionally shortened the route to the race, and found to be deliberately littering the course.
6. If I have any medical condition(s), including allergies, which the Event Organisers or Event medical advisors might need to be aware of, I have provided details of this on my entry form, and will also provide written details of this on the rear of my pin-on numbers prior to my participation in the Event. I agree to display my number at all times during the Event.
7. I acknowledge that my pin-on number is personal to me and it is non-transferable under any circumstances.
8. I understand and agree that I participate in this Event entirely at my own risk, that I must rely on my own ability in dealing with all hazards, and that I must conduct myself in a manner that is safe for myself and all others throughout the duration of this Event.
9. I agree to retire immediately from the event if ordered to do so by the Event Organisers, any government official or member of the emergency services.
10. I accept full liability for any medical expenses incurred as a result of training for and/or participating in the Event
11. I accept that the Event Organisers, sponsors, race officials, medical advisers and any person involved in the organisation of this Event are not liable for any injury or illness or resultant death that I may suffer as a result of my participation in the Event, whether prior to, during or subsequent to the Event. I enter the race entirely at my own risk. I renounce any rights and claims for damages that I may have against the Event Organisers, sponsors, race officials, medical advisers and any person involved in the organisation of this Event together with their officers, directors, shareholders, successors and assigns, (collectively, "Releasees") and release them from all liability to the Participant and his/her personal representatives, assigns, heirs, executors, and successors for loss(es), damage(s) and claims therefor on account of injury to Participant or his/her property or the resultant death of Participant, whether caused by the active or passive negligence of the Releasees or otherwise, in connection with Participants involvement in the Event ("Losses"), and further covenants not to sue any of the aforementioned parties for such Losses.
12. Whilst the Event Organisers take every care with the staging of the Event, I accept that I must make all reasonable precautions for the safeguarding of my person and of my property during my participation in this Event. I further acknowledge that personal accident and personal items insurance is my responsibility.
13. I understand that at registration, I must produce photographic identification.
14. I am aware that when running, the function of the marshals is only to indicate direction and that I must decide if the movement is safe.
15. I accept that, in relation to my participation in this Event, I am required to obey instructions from marshals and relevant signage before, during and after the Event.
16. The Event Organisers introduce cut off times for completion of sections of the course as they see fit. These will be made clear prior to the race. Competitors may be instructed to withdraw from the Event in accordance with the imposed cut off times.
17. I accept that the Event Organisers reserve the right to amend the event format or cancel the Event due to health and safety reasons, including storm, rain, inclement weather, winds or any other act of god conditions. I accept that my Entry fee shall be non-refundable in this circumstance as costs have already been incurred.
18. I accept that the Event Organisers will do their utmost to provide me with a finish time following my completion of the Event, however they will not be held responsible for any computer result anomalies.
19. I will be 20 years old or over on the day of the Event (Rule T3 (141) S5 UKA Trail Running).
20. I have read, understood and accept the GB Ultras Ltd Withdrawal Policy.
21. I understand that confirmed entry to this event is dependent on a fully and accurately completed online Entry Form; and receipt of payment to cover my Entry fee at least 10 working days (2 weeks) in advance of the event. If either of these conditions is not fulfilled then my entry will not be valid nor accepted, and I will not be eligible to take part in the Event.
22. Through my completion and submission of the online Entry Form, I am committing to paying for my Event entry via the means as instructed on the GB Ultras Ltd website.
23. I irrevocably consent to my appearance in any media format, in relation to the publicity of this Event, and in future publicity and advertising of GB Ultras Ltd; provided that such use does not imply my direct endorsement of any official sponsor or suppliers of the Event.
24. All decisions and rulings by the Event Organisers, its employees and its agents are considered final.
25. The Event Organisers reserve the right to vary these conditions by giving notice to in writing in any official event material or correspondence prior to the Event.
26. A person who is not party to these Terms shall not have any rights under or in connection with them under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999.
27. We will not be liable or responsible for any failure to perform, or delay in performance of, any of our obligations under the Terms that is caused by events outside our reasonable control (Force Majeure Event).
A Force Majeure Event includes any act, event, non-happening, omission or accident beyond our reasonable control and includes in particular (without limitation) the following: strikes, lock-outs or other industrial action; civil commotion, riot, invasion, terrorist attack or threat of terrorist attack, war (whether declared or not) or threat or preparation for war; fire, explosion, storm, flood, earthquake, subsidence, epidemic or other natural disaster; impossibility of the use of railways, shipping, aircraft, motor transport or other means of public or private transport; impossibility of the use of public or private telecommunications networks; the acts, decrees, legislation, regulations or restrictions of any government; and pandemic or epidemic.
28. You agree that we may publish your Personal Information as part of the results of the Event and may pass such information to the governing body or any affiliated organisation for the purpose of insurance, licences or for publishing results either for the event alone or combined with or compared to other events. Results may include (but not be limited to) name, any club affiliation, race times, occupation and age category. You consent that your details maybe passed onto GB Race Tracker Ltd and Race Tracker AS to ensure the smooth and accurate running of the Tracking software. Your details may also be passed onto 3rd parties via Live tracking so that your family and friends and the general public can follow every entrants position during the Race.
29. Should a GPS Tracker be damaged, lost or stolen then the entrant agrees to cover the cost of the tracker which is £150 + VAT per GPS tracker.
30. Upon withdrawal or completion of the Race, the runner agrees to return the GPS tracker to the Race Organiser. If a GPS tracker is not returned to a dedicated Race Marshal at Race HQ then the runner will be charged £150 + VAT.
31. I have read, understood and accept the GB Ultras Ltd Withdrawal Policy.
Extreme care should taken especially at heights where a fall can be serious. Llanberis Search & Rescue along with Ogwen Valley Mountain Rescue have been informed of the event. We’ll also have our own First Aid at Checkpoints too (though the First Aiders will likely be mobile between CP’s). The weather and the amount of miles covered in daylight hours will undoubtedly contribute to the possible dangers encountered during the Race so the mandatory kit must be carried throughout Snowdon Ultra.
Checkpoints are approximately every 6 - 10 mile so the team will be there to support your Race as much as we can.
Should you arrive on the Friday evening prior to the Race as opposed to the Saturday morning of the Race we’ll even help mark your map and the Checkpoints on it too. We will also be organising FREE OF CHARGE recce runs covering the route section by section.
Although largely a mountainous route, due to the nature of the event, there are inevitably some road crossings too where it will be necessary to slow and possibly stop as no roads are closed en route for the Race itself.
As always, if you see a runner experiencing difficulties please inform Checkpoint Marshals. Each runner should have the Race Organiser’s mobile number. Our team will always endeavour to reach any participant in difficulty but due to inaccessibility of the Trail this can take time. Participants who lose time helping another fallen participant, struggling against the cut off time due to this reason, can claim this time back, subject to RD discretion and under the proviso of completing within their new, extended cut off period.
In the mountains, the weather can change very quickly so the mandatory kit is mandatory for good reason. Depending on conditions closer to Race day, additional kit may well be required too. Spot checks will be done on Race day and any runner without the mandatory kit will be disqualified.
In order to ensure ‘Event Safety’ is at its very highest for the event, the course the designed to have the support where you need it.
Due to running through mountain terrain, careful footing and approaching the ascent/descents from the correct lines are very important. Also when running in woodland and along trails, be mindful of loose branches, unseen stones, uneven terrain, falling branches, some overgrowth, stiles to negotiate, and slippery surfaces. The main danger is presented by steep drops, close to cliff edges on a number of occasions throughout the Race. So please watch your footing and have a good bearing of where you are. For those new to this type of event, the team is always happy to help with any queries so please feel free to get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org . Be mindful and understanding of other users sharing the Trail and please be aware mountain bikes are often frequented in and around Betws-y-Coed, sometimes you’ll hear them before you see them.
Adverse Conditions during Race - Low Level Route Options
Take Instruction and advice from Met Office Reports, Snowdonia National Park, National Trust & Mountain Rescue teams as well as reports from event staff and participants on the day.
Potential low level alternatives below actioned by Event day staff and participants informed at Race Brief or on arrival at Checkpoint.
- Avoidance of Heather Terrace in high winds – Section Marshalled as per 2018.
- Ascent of Snowdon via Pyg Track and descent down Minors Track in high winds/severe weather, avoiding Y Lliwedd – Section Marshalled and diverted as per 2018.
- After ascending Pen yr Ole Wen, descend Pen yr Ole Wen from the East, avoiding Carnedd Dafydd, Carnedd Llewellyn and Pen yr Helgi Du – Runners advised at CP5. Section can be marshalled (CP5 location nearby) – Permission from landowner in place in case of descent OR
- Ascent Pen yr Ole Wen, and Carnedd Dafydd and Carnedd Llewelyn. Descend Bwlch Eryl Farchog as per route and then detour/descend midway along the ridge to the right taking runners down Cwm Llugwy to Ffynnon Llugwy, avoiding the ascent of Pen yr Helgi Du. Runners advised at CP5.
Prior to the race – Due to the nature of the event, costs are incurred as soon as a participant signs up, no refunds are possible in this event. However, GB Ultras understand injuries do occur and 1 years deferment is possible providing we have 8 weeks notice.
Alternatively, transfer to another participant is allowed providing these are agreed by ourselves at least 2 weeks prior to the event.
ADMIN FEE link > https://www.gbultras.com/product/admin-fee-gbultras/
Transfer to another runner
During the race – Unless medically unable, you should only be pulling out of this Race at a Checkpoint (CP)… It is not our responsibility to pick up a runner short of a CP. Please inform a GB Ultras Race Marshal or the Event Director of your withdrawal. This will ensure all participants who are registered and pull out of the race are accounted for, allowing for the accurate and safe running of the event. If a participant withdraws at a Checkpoint they must hand over their race number and GPS Tracker to race staff to signal their retirement. Marshals’ will inform the race organiser and each of the remaining Checkpoints can then update their lists. A sweeper after the cut off time will take retired participants to the Finish Venue, there may well be a wait to be picked up. Although ultimately decisions to continue are in the hands of the runner, GB Ultras reserve the right to pull any participant out of the race on health grounds.
GB Ultras Shop
Want to join the GB Ultras Running Club? Head over to the Shop today!