19/12/2021 – A quick update to let you know that everything is in place for the Liverbird New Year’s Double event taking place on Friday 31st December 2021 and Saturday 1st January 2022.
During some of the pandemic, UKA and England Athletics guidance has stated that ‘outdoor organised running events are permitted’, and a number of weeks ago, we received our licence from the Trail Running Association to hold the event. Having events impacted by the pandemic in England, Scotland and Wales we realise that restrictions can vary greatly (we were unable to hold an event for 14 months) due to restrictions).
COVID is an ever-changing situation, and the Trail Running Association and UKA can revoke the licence which could lead to a last-minute cancellation of the event.
As far as we are concerned, we will be hosting the event until we hear otherwise from the UK Government, UKA and Liverpool Council.
However, there will likely be a number of COVID-19 procedural changes brought in to reduce the likelihood of the spread of the variant.
For an overview of the COVID-19 procedures please head to the following link at https://www.gbultras.com/covid-brief/
Due to the ongoing changes and differences in England, Scotland and Wales throughout the pandemic, there are a few changes to the COVID-19 Race Brief.
The key differences are:
- Race numbers are to be collected on the day at Registration
- No requirement to login to check details. If any details have changed please email email@example.com … If you transfer your place to another runner then we need to know.
- There are no trackers for the 10km – Half-Marathon – Marathon events (only for the Ultramarathon events), and no mandatory kit. Unfortunately, the trackers do not operate effectively on out and back or lapped events.
- So far spectators are permitted at the event, but this could change depending upon UK restrictions. As seen at the Manchester to Liverpool Ultra (April 2021) and Ultra Scotland 50 Mile (May 2021).
- Potentially a staggered start maybe required as opposed to a mass start. If this is the case, we will request participants to arrive approx. 45 minutes to 1 hour prior to their race start.
- As soon as we know more, we’ll add a Virtual Race Brief for the event too. There will not be a Mandatory Kit video for this event but please remember to bring a waterproof coat/base layer depending on the forecast.
- Course check starts tomorrow, on Monday 20th December, so we will aim to have the LIVERBIRD Race Instructions emailed by Wednesday 22nd December 2021.
We also understand that some participants may not be able to make the event due to self-isolating and as such we would also like to extend the options below to participants at this time:
At this stage, we can offer the following options to all entrants of the 2021 Liverbird New Year’s Double:
- Remain in the 2021 Race
Your current race place in the 2021 event will be maintained. Further Race information will be emailed on Wednesday 22ndDecember 2021.
One of the aspects of ensuring our event is COVID secure and compliant with Government Guidelines is the introduction of a staggered start to the event (if deemed necessary by Liverpool Council).
- Defer to Liverbird New Years Double 31/12/2022 – 01/01/2023
If you’re struggling to make the event or need to self-isolate then we don’t want you to lose your place, you can decide to defer your place to the 2022-2023 LIVERBIRD event.
- Receive a voucher
You can opt to choose a voucher for the value of your original race entry fee. This can be used towards any future GB Ultras event until 01/01/2025 (subject to availability of places). Alternatively, the voucher can be used towards purchase of GB Ultras merchandise or entry to one of our virtual races.
What we need you to do now:
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information, no later than 27th December 2021. If we don’t receive your option choice by this date, we will automatically keep you in the upcoming New Years event.
- Full Name
- Email address used to sign up to the event
- Option Chosen
- If remaining in the 2021/2022 race
**Please ensure you email email@example.com **
For more details on how our 2021/2022 events will be COVID secure please visit our website – https://www.gbultras.com/covid-brief/
Please note that any last-minute Government changes in the lead up to the event could lead to a late postponement by the GB Ultras team. Should this happen, all participants will be notified by email outlining the options available to them at that time.
We thank you for your continued support and understanding through these extremely challenging times and we are doing everything in our power to provide the events that we know our runners love.
WAYNE DRINKWATER – RACE DIRECTOR