BEACONS WAY ULTRA 100KM
By Application! Saturday 27th July 2024
Race Across Bannau Brycheiniog, the Brecon Beacons National Park! Traverse spectacular mountain scenery starting from Talybont with 6 Checkpoints supporting your progress along this EPIC Journey with 3178m of ascent over 105 km!
The race follows the official trail of the Brecon Beacons National Park, the Beacons Way. The ability to navigate is expected during this event and runners must therefore have map reading skills.
Ready for the challenge?
BY APPLICATION ONLY > We want to ensure that those starting the race are suitably experienced for the race! After a successful application you can either pay in full for the Beacons Way Ultra 100km at only £89 or you can choose to spread the cost over 4 instalments
Are You Ready To
To take on Bannau Brycheiniog National Park? To take on the highest mountains in South Wales? To be tested mentally and physically? Test yourself in the wilds of the Brecon Beacons?
Gold, Silver or Bronze?
Top 100 finishers earn a Gold ‘Beacons Way 100km’ Medal, 101-200 finishers earn a Silver 100km Medal and 201+ finishers earn the Bronze 100km Medal. There are additional prizes for the Top 3 Male and Top 3 Female finishers!
Click Below To Watch The Live Online Tracking
All The Beacons Way Ultra 105km Information
We want you to have the most amazing time at the Beacons Way Ultra 105km! All the information you need to participate in this event is below.
NEW START LOCATION 100KM – Llangynidr New Village Hall, Cwmcrawnon Road, Llangynidr, Crickhowell, NP8 1LS.
Saturday 22nd July 2023 At Start Venue
09:00 – 10:30 – Registration & Kit Check at Llangynidr New Village Hall Event HQ
11:00 – Race Start
Llangadog Village Hall, Dyrfal Road (A4069), Llangadog, SA19 9BW
BY APPLICATION ONLY! Each participant must apply to take part in the race to ensure they have suitable experience to take on the Race Across Bannau Brycheiniog.
At least 20 years old + at the time of the race (Rule T3 (141) S5 UKA Trail Running)
In good health.
The ability to navigate is required and expected.
Each participant must have completed at least a marathon distance event prior to the event.
This can be for an event not yet taken place but that will be completed prior to the onset of Beacons Way Ultra 100km.
Waterproof trousers (NOW PART OF THE MANDATORY KIT),
Hardcopy Ordnance Survey Explorer OL12 (Brecon Beacons)
Waterproof coat with sealed seams, i.e. Goretex – Min 10,000mm
Base Plate Compass
Base layer long sleeved (Separate from Start Kit in a dry bag).
Water bottle or bladder -min 1 litre capacity,
Fully charged mobile phone,
Foil Blanket or Survival Bag,
Headtorch – Min 75 Lumens,
Emergency Rations – Min 500 Calories,
Backup Light source – Min 25 Lumens (Not your phone),
GPS Tracker (property of GB Race Tracker – given at Race Registration),
Please be aware GB Ultras Races Now Cupless! You can buy a GB Ultras reusable cup CLICK HERE to visit the shop.
- Full map only will pass kit checks not cut down, photocopies or illustrations.
- Compass must be a compass NOT one on your phone or watch.
- Long sleeve top as base layer
- Failure to have any of the kit on race day could lead you to be disqualified and pulled from the race at any point.
- Additional items of kit may be added based on ‘expected’ weather forecast conditions – full wet weather kit. If necessary, we will advise you by social media in the days leading up to the event what additional items may be required.
Beacons Way Ultra 100 KM Ultramarathon has 6 Checkpoints en route with the principle aim of maintaining the highest level of support possible across the Brecon Beacons National Park.
Cut-off times per checkpoint are implemented by GB Ultras to ensure the safe and proper running of the event and include the length of time taken to complete sections of the Beacons Way route.
There is a 20 hour cut off time for the event. The locations of the Checkpoints are:
Checkpoint 1 – 6 Miles
Talybont. Blaen y Glyn Uchaf car park, Talybont-on-Usk, Merthyr Tydfil, CF48 2UT/LD3 7YT.
Coordinates: SO05610 17560.
Checkpoint 2 – 13 Miles
Storey Arms/Pont ar Daf car park, Brecon, LD3 8NL.
Coordinates: SN98270 20280.
Cut Off at CP2 : 3:20pm Saturday.
Checkpoint 3 – 20 Miles
Sarn Helen car park, Blaen Ilia, Ystradfellte, Aberdare, CF44 9JD/CF44 9JG.
Coordinates: SN92730 16435.
Cut Off at CP3: 5:40pm Saturday.
Checkpoint 4 – 26 Miles.
Penwyllt car park – South Wales Caving Club, A4067, Tase-Uchaf, SA9 1GQ. https://what3words.com/exacts.constants.again
Cut Off at CP4: 8:20pm Saturday.
Checkpoint 5 – 39 Miles
Neuadd Llanddeusant Village Hall, Llanddeusant, Llangadog, SA19 9YB.
Coordinates: SN76050 24870.
Cut Off at CP5: 12AM Sunday.
Checkpoint 6 – 48 Miles
Mountain View, Mountain Road Car Park, A4069, Llangadog, SA19 9PA.
Coordinates: SN73260 18827.
Cut Off at CP6: 3am Sunday.
Finish – 62 Miles
Llangadog Village Hall, Dyrfal Road (A4069), Llangadog, SA19 9BW.
Coordinates: SN70625 28210.
Cut Off at the Finish : 7am Sunday
If you see a runner experiencing difficulties please inform Checkpoint Marshals. Each runner should have RACE HQ mobile numbers stored in their phone (shared in the Race Instructions email in the weeks prior to the event).
It is the role of the entrant to be self-sufficient. Should an incident occur, our team will endeavour to reach any participant in difficulty as quickly as possible, with Event staff stationed in hard to reach locations. Phones must be used only in an emergency to conserve battery power should the need arise.
Participants who lose time helping another fallen participant, can claim this time back, subject to RD discretion and under the proviso of completing within RD agreed conditions. Please note any extended time will be ‘within’ the cut-offs of the event, due to event staffing, medical cover and venue hire.
GB Race Tracker provide the Live Online GPS Tracking for the event with updates on participant positions approximately every 2 minutes (subject to signal). On the front of each tracker is an SOS button which when pressed immediately alerts the Race Director & Race HQ that urgent help is required who can then act accordingly.
In the event of a Medical Emergency please call Race HQ first.
Runners can utilise a Dropbag facility to transport a change of kit to the Finish line venue.
This dropbag should be handed in at Race Registration in Talybont-on-Usk, be labelled (labels available at Race HQ) and should be small/medium in size (i.e. not a suitcase). They will be transported to the finish line venue for runners to collect at Llangadog.
Support crews are more than welcome to pick up dropbag’s providing prior authorisation is given by the runner (at Race Registration) and early collection by the runner is fine too.
Optional coach travel back to Talybont-on-Usk is available at a cost of £19.99 per person.
Coach departs Llangadog Community Centre to Talybont at TBC (Approx 9am Sunday).
Runners can rest at the finish venue while awaiting coach transport.
Please plan ahead & book early to avoid disappointment. Option available during the Sign Up procedure. Please note 2023 seats were at capacity 7 weeks prior to the race.
Beacons Way Ultra-Marathon Admission Waiver
Each ultra runner agrees and understands the full nature of an Ultra-Marathon. That an Ultra-Marathon involves running throughout the day and well into the night at times with limited rest over challenging terrain with inherent risks of changing weather conditions. Each ultra runner understands that it is their responsibility to adequately train for the event, and monitor their own health throughout and are ultimately responsible for their own safety. Criteria ensures that a runners safety depends on their own skills and abilities and these have been gained from other events placing them in good stead to take on the mental and physical challenges of Beacons Way Ultra 100.
Each ultra runner understands these are there responsibilities not those of GB Ultras.
Please read these terms and conditions carefully and make sure that you understand them, before placing an entry on our site. By submitting your entry form, you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions (“the Terms”), and by submitting, you declare that you hereby, for yourself, your heirs and executors, administrators, successors, and assigns, declare that:-
1. I hereby agree to comply with the Conditions of Entry and all event rules and regulations as set down by GB Ultras Ltd (“the Event Organisers”) a company registered in England and Wales under company number 09397186. These conditions include the length of time taken to complete sections of the course which may be implemented by the Event Organisers, at their discretion, to ensure safe and proper running of the event.
2. I agree that the decision of the Race Referee will be final in all circumstances and no discussion will be entered into.
3. I agree to conduct myself in a sporting, professional and cautious manner during my participation in the event and understand that I may be disqualified if I do not do so.
4. I understand participation in this Event is physically strenuous and demanding and am fully aware of the nature of the event and all associated medical and physical risks involved. I further certify that I am physically capable of competing in this Event and I will only compete if I am fit enough to do so.
5. I will be immediately disqualified from the Event if I am found to have intentionally shortened the route to the race, and found to be deliberately littering the course.
6. If I have any medical condition(s), including allergies, which the Event Organisers or Event medical advisors might need to be aware of, I have provided details of this on my entry form, and will also provide written details of this on the rear of my pin-on numbers prior to my participation in the Event. I agree to display my number at all times during the Event.
7. I acknowledge that my pin-on number is personal to me and it is non-transferable under any circumstances.
8. I understand and agree that I participate in this Event entirely at my own risk, that I must rely on my own ability in dealing with all hazards, and that I must conduct myself in a manner that is safe for myself and all others throughout the duration of this Event.
9. I agree to retire immediately from the event if ordered to do so by the Event Organisers, any government official or member of the emergency services.
10. I accept full liability for any medical expenses incurred as a result of training for and/or participating in the Event
11. I accept that the Event Organisers, sponsors, race officials, medical advisers and any person involved in the organisation of this Event are not liable for any injury or illness or resultant death that I may suffer as a result of my participation in the Event, whether prior to, during or subsequent to the Event. I enter the race entirely at my own risk. I renounce any rights and claims for damages that I may have against the Event Organisers, sponsors, race officials, medical advisers and any person involved in the organisation of this Event together with their officers, directors, shareholders, successors and assigns, (collectively, “Releasees”) and release them from all liability to the Participant and his/her personal representatives, assigns, heirs, executors, and successors for loss(es), damage(s) and claims therefor on account of injury to Participant or his/her property or the resultant death of Participant, whether caused by the active or passive negligence of the Releasees or otherwise, in connection with Participants involvement in the Event (“Losses”), and further covenants not to sue any of the aforementioned parties for such Losses.
12. Whilst the Event Organisers take every care with the staging of the Event, I accept that I must make all reasonable precautions for the safeguarding of my person and of my property during my participation in this Event. I further acknowledge that personal accident and personal items insurance is my responsibility.
13. I understand that at registration, I must produce photographic identification.
14. I am aware that when running, the function of the marshals is only to indicate direction and that I must decide if the movement is safe.
15. I accept that, in relation to my participation in this Event, I am required to obey instructions from marshals and relevant signage before, during and after the Event.
16. The Event Organisers introduce cut off times for completion of sections of the course as they see fit. These will be made clear prior to the race. Competitors may be instructed to withdraw from the Event in accordance with the imposed cut off times.
17. I accept that the Event Organisers reserve the right to amend the event format or cancel the Event due to health and safety reasons, including storm, rain, inclement weather, winds or any other act of god conditions. I accept that my Entry fee shall be non-refundable in this circumstance as costs have already been incurred.
18. I accept that the Event Organisers will do their utmost to provide me with a finish time following my completion of the Event, however they will not be held responsible for any computer result anomalies.
19. I will be 20 years old or over on the day of the Event (Rule T3 (141) S5 UKA Trail Running).
20. I have read, understood and accept the GB Ultras Ltd Withdrawal Policy.
21. I understand that confirmed entry to this event is dependent on a fully and accurately completed online Entry Form; and receipt of payment to cover my Entry fee at least 10 working days (2 weeks) in advance of the event. If either of these conditions is not fulfilled then my entry will not be valid nor accepted, and I will not be eligible to take part in the Event.
22. Through my completion and submission of the online Entry Form, I am committing to paying for my Event entry via the means as instructed on the GB Ultras Ltd website.
23. I irrevocably consent to my appearance in any media format, in relation to the publicity of this Event, and in future publicity and advertising of GB Ultras Ltd; provided that such use does not imply my direct endorsement of any official sponsor or suppliers of the Event.
24. All decisions and rulings by the Event Organisers, its employees and its agents are considered final.
25. The Event Organisers reserve the right to vary these conditions by giving notice to in writing in any official event material or correspondence prior to the Event.
26. A person who is not party to these Terms shall not have any rights under or in connection with them under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999.
27. We will not be liable or responsible for any failure to perform, or delay in performance of, any of our obligations under the Terms that is caused by events outside our reasonable control.
A Force Majeure Event includes any act, event, non-happening, omission or accident beyond our reasonable control and includes in particular (without limitation) the following: strikes, lock-outs or other industrial action; civil commotion, riot, invasion, terrorist attack or threat of terrorist attack, war (whether declared or not) or threat or preparation for war; fire, explosion, storm, flood, earthquake, subsidence, epidemic or other natural disaster; impossibility of the use of railways, shipping, aircraft, motor transport or other means of public or private transport; impossibility of the use of public or private telecommunications networks; the acts, decrees, legislation, regulations or restrictions of any government; and pandemic or epidemic.
28. You agree that we may publish your Personal Information as part of the results of the Event and may pass such information to the governing body or any affiliated organisation for the purpose of insurance, licences or for publishing results either for the event alone or combined with or compared to other events. Results may include (but not be limited to) name, any club affiliation, race times, occupation and age category. You consent that your details maybe passed onto GB Race Tracker Ltd and Race Tracker AS to ensure the smooth and accurate running of the Tracking software. Your details may also be passed onto 3rd parties via Live tracking so that your family and friends and the general public can follow every entrants position during the Race.
29. Should a GPS Tracker be damaged, lost or stolen then the entrant agrees to cover the cost of the tracker which is £150 + VAT per GPS tracker.
30. Upon withdrawal or completion of the Race, the runner agrees to return the GPS tracker to the Race Organiser. If a GPS tracker is not returned to a dedicated Race Marshal at Race HQ then the runner will be charged £150 + VAT.
31. I have read, understood and accept the GB Ultras Ltd Withdrawal Policy.
Before the race
Due to the nature of the event, costs are incurred as soon as a participant signs up, no refunds are possible in this event.
Any deferrals to the 2025 Race must be done 8 weeks prior to the event at a cost of £12 due to costs incurred. Click here to pay the Admin Fee
Transfers are possible up until 3 weeks before the Race day providing qualifying criteria is met (marathon experience) at a cost of £12.
Deferrals permitted for 1 year only!
Transfer to another runner
During the race
Please inform a GB Ultras Race Marshal at one of the Checkpoint’s or Race HQ. This will ensure all participants who are registered and pull out of the race are accounted for, allowing for the accurate and safe running of the event. If a participant withdraws at a Checkpoint they must hand over their Race Number & GPS Tracker to the Event team to signal their retirement. Marshals’ will inform the race organiser and each of the remaining Checkpoints can update their manual lists.
A sweeper after the cut off time will endeavour to take retired participants to the Finish Venue. Effectively those pulling out of the Race may well have to wait until the Checkpoint closes before they are transported back to the Finish. Given the size of the Start line, we would recommend having your own Support Crew in case withdrawal during the event is needed or please expect a delay in the transportation time back to the Start/Finish venue or be prepared to arrange your own to save time waiting on the arrangements.
GB Ultras also reserve the right to pull any participant out of the race on health grounds.
Beacons Way Ultra 100km Race Brief
Beacons Way Ultra 100km Mandatory Kit
The route follows the Official trail of the Brecon Beacons National Park, the Beacons Way. The 105km starts nearby to Talybont and takes in the incredible Pen-y-Fan and the Carmarthen Fans. The ability to navigate is expected during this event and runners must therefore have map reading skills. Please note the GPX’s below are guides only and low level routes due to severe weather may impact the distance of the race!
Part Of The 50 Mile Grand Slam
Take on 5 of our 50 Mile Ultra Marathons for the Grand Slam Medal or take on 8 50 Mile Ultra Marathons for the Super Slam & get in to the Hall of Fame
All ‘entrants’ are invited to join the Team on training runs covering key sections of the Beacons Way Ultra 100km route prior to Race day. You can attend as many as you like, one day or both days of any given training weekend with the aim of learning the route and increasing confidence come Race day. You’ll also have the chance to meet other runners taking on the Race. Training runs will have a small charge of £19.99 for 1 day or £34.99 for both days for attendance. Included is –
- Fully guided recce run
- Mandatory Kit Advice
- Exclusive group messenger chat for recce and race prep
- Limited edition buff
- Meet the team
- Gain trail experience and knowledge
Pace wise we’ll be going at a nice gentle pace ensuring all runners stay as a group with brief stops approximately every mile. Generally our training runs have high attendance and for safety reasons we’ll be imposing a limit depending on feedback and Covid-19 restrictions.
Weather conditions can change very quickly in the mountains so we recommend runners refer to the Mandatory kit section and carry sufficient food/water for the duration of each of the runs. No overnight accommodation is included. However, runners may be interested to learn that there are a number of campsites’ spanning the trail and these would be a good choice for training run overnight stops.
Section covered & distance
Covering miles 6 – 26 of the Beacons Way Ultra 100km
8:00am Talybont. Blaen y Glyn Uchaf car park, Talybont-on-Usk, CF48 2UT
Penwyllt car park – South Wales Caving Club, A4067, Tase-Uchaf, SA9 1GQ. Car Sharing: Required.
Section covered & distance
Covering 20 miles of the Beacons Way 100 Ultra
8:00am Penwyllt car park – South Wales Caving Club, A4067, Tase-Uchaf, SA9 1GQ.
Mountain View car park, Mountain Road Car Park, A4069, Llangadog, SA19 9PA. Car Sharing: Required.
Share the Beacons Way Ultra 100km page
So you like 50 Mile Ultra Events, so do we! Below you’ll find similar 50 Mile Ultras
Pennine Barrier Ultra 50
8th Edition | 50 Miles | 18 Hours | 2593m Elevation | Final Places
Ultra Scotland 50
5th Edition | 56 Miles | 18 Hours | 2560m Elevation | Limited Places
Ultra Wales 50
5th Edition | 50 Miles | 20 Hours | 8898m Elevation | Limited Places
Beacons Way Ultra
5th Edition | 105 km | 20 Hours | 3178m Elevation | Limited Places