Beacons Way Ultra 100
#RaceAcrossBreconBeacons 2020: 100 Beautiful Miles traversing the Brecon Beacons National Park. Starting from the Heart of Abergavenny amongst the majestic ruins of Abergavenny Castle and following the Beacons Way National Trail with 10 Checkpoints along the way, the event has all the hallmarks of a classic, inspiring runners to take on this epic challenge!
With 6143m of Ascent (20100 ft) over 100 miles, Live Online GPS Tracking via GB Race Tracker, breathtaking views and amazing support from the #GBUltras team, the event is also a 2020 UTMB Qualifying Race with Optional transport back to the Start Venue after the event.
Saturday 11th July 2020
Mens PB - Howard Dracup (GBR) 25 Hours 9 Minutes (2019)
Ladies PB - Amy Fulford (GBR) 31 Hours 15 Minutes (2019)
Watch the Race Live with GB Race Tracker
You can now watch the entire race unfold live thanks to the live tracking we use for this event
FINISHERS ARE AWARDED 6 UTMB POINTS
Top 50 finishers earn a Gold ‘Beacons Way Ultra 100’ Buckle, 51-100 finishers earn a Silver 100 Mile Buckle and 101+ finishers earn the Bronze 100 Mile Buckle. There are additional prizes for the Top 3 Male and Top 3 Female finishers!
The route follows the Official trail of the Brecon Beacons National Park, the Beacons Way. The ability to navigate is expected during this event and runners must therefore have map reading skills. In the lead up to the Race, GB Ultras Running Club organise ‘Free of Charge’ training runs covering the entire route section by section to help build confidence and prepare runners for the upcoming Race.
Full Race details
START – Event HQ & Registration: Abergavenny Castle, Castle Street, Abergavenny, NP7 5EE
(Please park on Castle Street Car park – please refer to ‘Car Parking’ below) – Venue closed to the General Public from 4pm.
FINISH – Event HQ & Finish Line: Llangadog Village Hall, Dyrfal Road (A4069), Llangadog, SA19 9BW
(Limited Parking available at the rear of the building)
Friday 10th July 2020
17:00 – 20:00 – Registration & Kit Check at Abergavenny Castle Event HQ
20:00 – 20:15 – Option 1 Event Brief in the ‘Great Hall’ with the Race Director
Saturday 11th July 2020
04:30 – 05:30 – Registration & further Kit Checks
05:30 – 05:45 – Option 2 Event Brief in the ‘Great Hall’ with the Race Director
06:00 – Event Start
2020 Beacons Way Ultra 100 ‘Free of Charge’ Training Runs
All entrants are invited to join the Team on training runs covering the Beacons Way Ultra 100 Mile route prior to Race day. You can attend as many as you like, and one or a number of days of any given training weekend with the aim of learning the route and increasing confidence come Event day. You’ll also have the chance to meet other runners taking on the Ultra.
2020 Date tbc – Beacons Way RECCE 1:
8am: Start at Abergavenny Castle (Parking available at Castle Street Car Park NP7 5EE) to Crickhowell Village Hall, NP8 1BB ( Covering the initial 26 Miles). Car sharing required.
2020 Date tbc – Beacons Way RECCE 2:
8am: Start at Crickhowell Village Hall, NP8 1BB to Talybont. Blaen y Glyn Uchaf car park, Talybont-on-Usk, Merthyr Tydfil, CF48 2UT ( Covering the 26 Mile – 46 Mile section). Car sharing required.
2020 Date tbc – Beacons Way RECCE 3:
8am: Start at Talybont. Blaen y Glyn Uchaf car park, Talybont-on-Usk, CF48 2UT to Tafarn-y-Garreg Campsite (Opposite the Restaurant), Pen-y-cae, Swansea SA9 1GS (Covering 46 Miles – 68 Miles). Car sharing required.
2020 Date tbc – Beacons Way RECCE 4:
8am: Start at Tafarn-y-Garreg Campsite, Pen-y-cae, Swansea SA9 1GS to LLangadog (Covering the last 30 Miles depending on group pace). Car sharing required.
The training runs are free of charge to attend, we simply ask that runners confirm their attendance via sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and/or joining the GB Ultras Community Forum so that closer to the time we can help make arrangements. The idea would be to have some of the runners cars dropped off at the end point of the day’s run, arrange pick up of said runners from this point and bring them to the Start point. At the end of the day’s running, those with the car’s waiting at the finish point, drop runners back to their cars at the day’s Start point. We find this a sensible approach, promoting car sharing, organisation, avoiding charging for mini-bus hire, and also reducing the impact on the environment.
Pace wise we’ll be going at a nice gentle pace ensuring all runners stay as a group with brief stops approximately every mile. Generally our training runs have high attendance and for safety reasons we’ll be imposing a limit depending on feedback. There will be no minimum attendance limit as i feel that if i can help just one runner prior to Race day then its been a success.
Weather conditions can change very quickly in the mountains so we recommend runners refer to the Mandatory kit section and carry sufficient food/water for the duration of each of the runs. No overnight accommodation is included. However, runners may be interested to learn that there are a number of Campsites’ spanning the trail and these would be a good choice for training run overnight stops.
OPTIONAL COACH RETURN TO ABERGAVENNY
Optional coach travel back to Abergavenny is available at a cost of £19.99 per person.
Coach departs Llangadog Community Centre on Sunday 12th July 2020 at 10pm.
Please plan ahead & book early to avoid disappointment. Option available during the Sign Up procedure.
To download the GPX or KML file for this event simply select the correct file in the menu below.
Optional Transport back to the Start Venue Available on Sign Up
At least 21 years old + at the time of the race.
In good health. The ability to navigate is required and expected.
Each participant must have completed at least a 50 mile Race prior to the event.
This can be for an event not yet taken place but that will be completed prior to the onset of Beacons Way Ultra 100.
Beacons Way Ultra 100 Mile Ultramarathon has 10 Checkpoints en route with the principle aim of maintaining the highest level of support possible across the Brecon Beacons National Park.
Cut-off times per checkpoint are implemented by GB Ultras, at their discretion, to ensure the safe and proper running of the event and include the length of time taken to complete sections of the Beacons Way route.
There is a 40 hour cut off time for the event. The locations of the Checkpoints are:
Cut off times and Checkpoints:
Checkpoint 1 – 7 Miles … Section total : 7 miles.
Location: Outside of The Skirrid Mountain Inn, Llanvihangel Crucorney, Abergavenny, NP7 8DH.
Coordinates: SO32550 20630. Cut Off at CP1 : 08.48 AM Saturday
Checkpoint 2 – 13 Miles … Section Total : 6 miles.
Location: Llanthony Treats Campsite, Honddu Cottage, Llanthony, NP7 7NN.
Coordinates: SO28804 27759. Cut Off at CP2 : 11.12 AM Saturday
Checkpoint 3 – 26 Miles … Section Total : 13 miles.
Location: Crickhowell Village Hall, 4 Church Lane, Crickhowell, NP8 1BB.
Coordinates: SO21664 18393. Cut Off at CP3 : 16:24 PM Sat
Checkpoint 4 – 36 Miles. Section total : 10 miles.
Location: Bwlch Village Hall, Bwlch, LD3 7HJ.
Coordinates: SO14615 22337. Cut Off at CP4 : 20:24 PM Sat.
Checkpoint 5 – 45 Miles. Section total : 9 miles.
Location: Talybont. Blaen y Glyn Uchaf car park, Talybont-on-Usk, Merthyr Tydfil, CF48 2UT/LD3 7YT.
Coordinates: SO05610 17560. Cut Off at CP5 : 00:00 AM Sun.
Checkpoint 6 – 52 Miles. Section total : 7 miles.
Location: Storey Arms/Pont ar Daf car park, Brecon, LD3 8NL.
Coordinates: SN98270 20280. Cut Off at CP6 : 02:44 AM Sun.
Checkpoint 7 – 59 Miles. Section total : 7 miles.
Location: Sarn Helen car park, Blaen Ilia, Ystradfellte, Aberdare, CF44 9JD/CF44 9JG.
Coordinates: SN92730 16435. Cut Off at CP7 : 05:36 AM Sun.
Checkpoint 8 – 68 Miles. Section total : 9 miles.
Location: Glyntawe Campsite, opposite Tafarn-y-Garreg Pub, A4067, Pen-y-Cae, Swansea, SA9 1GS.
Coordinates: SN84808 16965. Cut Off at CP8 : 09:12 AM Sun.
Checkpoint 9 – 78 Miles. Section total : 10 miles.
Location: Neuadd Llanddeusant Village Hall, Llanddeusant, Llangadog, SA19 9YB.
Coordinates: SN76050 24870. Cut Off at CP9 : 13:12 PM Sun.
Checkpoint 10 – 87 Miles. Section total : 9 miles.
Location: Mountain View, Mountain Road Car Park, A4069, Llangadog, SA19 9PA.
Coordinates: SN73260 18827. Cut Off at CP10 : 16:48 PM Sun.
Finish – 102 Miles. Section total : 15 miles.
Location: Llangadog Community Centre, Dyrfal Road (A4069), Llangadog, SA19 9BW.
Coordinates: SN70625 28210. Cut Off at 22:00 PM SUN.
Hardcopy Ordnance Survey Explorer OL12 & OL13 (Brecon Beacons)
Waterproof coat with sealed seams, i.e. Goretex – Min 10,000mm
Base Plate Compass
Base layer long sleeved (Separate from Start Kit in a dry bag).
Water bottle or bladder -min 1 litre capacity,
Fully charged mobile phone,
Survival/thermal bag or Bivi bag,
Headtorch – Min 75 Lumens,
Emergency Rations – Min 500 Calories,
Backup Light source – Min 25 Lumens (Not your phone),
GPS Tracker (property of GB Race Tracker – given at Race Registration),
Electrolytes – S-Caps
Please be aware GB Ultras Races Now Cupless! You can buy a GB Ultras reusable cup CLICK HERE to visit the shop.
- Full map only will pass kit checks not cut down, photocopies or illustrations.
- Compass must be a compass NOT one on your phone or watch.
- Long sleeve top as base layer
- Failure to have any of the kit on race day could lead you to be disqualified and pulled from the race at any point.
- Additional items of kit may be added based on ‘expected’ weather forecast conditions. If necessary, we will advise you by social media in the days leading up to the event what additional items may be required.
Please car share wherever possible to minimise the carbon footprint of the event as much as possible. There is NO on-site car parking at Abergavenny Castle!
Long stay car parking is available in Abergavenny for up to 6 days (£19.80) at Castle Street Car Park (NP7 5EE), Tudor Street Car Park (NP7 5YL), Byefield Lane Car Park (Tudor Street NP7 5DL) or Fairfield Car Park (11 Park Avenue, NP7 5SG). Alternatively, those travelling up on the Friday prior to Race day might be able to make arrangements with their hotel, should they decide to stay locally.
Runners can utilise three separate Dropbag facilities at CP5 (Talybont, 45 Miles) and CP9 (Llanddeusant Village Hall, 78 Miles) and at the Finish line venue.
These dropbags should be handed in at Race Registration in Abergavenny, be labelled (labels available at Race HQ) and DB1 & DB2 should be small in size. They will be transported to the finish line venue for runners to collect at Llangadog after the CP in question (CP5 OR CP9) has closed.
Dropbag 3 can be a medium sized holdall and will be transported to the finish venue (Dropbag 3).
Should a runner decide to pull out of the race earlier than expected (DNF) please do not ask the Event team to individually pick up your dropbags’ and transport them for you individually and please do not ring the Race Director on this matter. Please wait for your dropbags at the finish line. They will arrive when the Checkpoint has closed and will not be posted out after the event. Support crews are more than welcome to pick up dropbag’s providing prior authorisation is given by the runner (at Race Registration) and early collection by the runner is fine too.
Ultra-Marathon Admission Waiver
Each ultra runner agrees and understands the full nature of an Ultra-Marathon. That an Ultra-Marathon involves running throughout the day and well into the night at times with limited rest over challenging terrain with inherent risks of changing weather conditions. Each ultra runner understands that it is their responsibility to adequately train for the event, and monitor their own health throughout and are ultimately responsible for their own safety. Criteria ensures that a runners safety depends on their own skills and abilities and these have been gained from other events placing them in good stead to take on the mental and physical challenges of Beacons Way Ultra 100.
Each ultra runner understands these are there responsibilities not those of GB Ultras.
Please read these terms and conditions carefully and make sure that you understand them, before placing an entry on our site. By submitting your entry form, you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions (“the Terms”), and by submitting, you declare that you hereby, for yourself, your heirs and executors, administrators, successors, and assigns, declare that:-
1. I hereby agree to comply with the Conditions of Entry and all event rules and regulations as set down by GB Ultras Ltd (“the Event Organisers”) a company registered in England and Wales under company number 09397186. These conditions include the length of time taken to complete sections of the course which may be implemented by the Event Organisers, at their discretion, to ensure safe and proper running of the event.
2. I agree that the decision of the Race Referee will be final in all circumstances and no discussion will be entered into.
3. I agree to conduct myself in a sporting, professional and cautious manner during my participation in the event and understand that I may be disqualified if I do not do so.
4. I understand participation in this Event is physically strenuous and demanding and am fully aware of the nature of the event and all associated medical and physical risks involved. I further certify that I am physically capable of competing in this Event and I will only compete if I am fit enough to do so.
5. I will be immediately disqualified from the Event if I am found to have intentionally shortened the route to the race, and found to be deliberately littering the course.
6. If I have any medical condition(s), including allergies, which the Event Organisers or Event medical advisors might need to be aware of, I have provided details of this on my entry form, and will also provide written details of this on the rear of my pin-on numbers prior to my participation in the Event. I agree to display my number at all times during the Event.
7. I acknowledge that my pin-on number is personal to me and it is non-transferable under any circumstances.
8. I understand and agree that I participate in this Event entirely at my own risk, that I must rely on my own ability in dealing with all hazards, and that I must conduct myself in a manner that is safe for myself and all others throughout the duration of this Event.
9. I agree to retire immediately from the event if ordered to do so by the Event Organisers, any government official or member of the emergency services.
10. I accept full liability for any medical expenses incurred as a result of training for and/or participating in the Event
11. I accept that the Event Organisers, sponsors, race officials, medical advisers and any person involved in the organisation of this Event are not liable for any injury or illness or resultant death that I may suffer as a result of my participation in the Event, whether prior to, during or subsequent to the Event. I enter the race entirely at my own risk. I renounce any rights and claims for damages that I may have against the Event Organisers, sponsors, race officials, medical advisers and any person involved in the organisation of this Event together with their officers, directors, shareholders, successors and assigns, (collectively, “Releasees”) and release them from all liability to the Participant and his/her personal representatives, assigns, heirs, executors, and successors for loss(es), damage(s) and claims therefor on account of injury to Participant or his/her property or the resultant death of Participant, whether caused by the active or passive negligence of the Releasees or otherwise, in connection with Participants involvement in the Event (“Losses”), and further covenants not to sue any of the aforementioned parties for such Losses.
12. Whilst the Event Organisers take every care with the staging of the Event, I accept that I must make all reasonable precautions for the safeguarding of my person and of my property during my participation in this Event. I further acknowledge that personal accident and personal items insurance is my responsibility.
13. I understand that at registration, I must produce photographic identification.
14. I am aware that when running, the function of the marshals is only to indicate direction and that I must decide if the movement is safe.
15. I accept that, in relation to my participation in this Event, I am required to obey instructions from marshals and relevant signage before, during and after the Event.
16. The Event Organisers introduce cut off times for completion of sections of the course as they see fit. These will be made clear prior to the race. Competitors may be instructed to withdraw from the Event in accordance with the imposed cut off times.
17. I accept that the Event Organisers reserve the right to amend the event format or cancel the Event due to health and safety reasons, including storm, rain, inclement weather, winds or any other act of god conditions. I accept that my Entry fee shall be non-refundable in this circumstance as costs have already been incurred.
18. I accept that the Event Organisers will do their utmost to provide me with a finish time following my completion of the Event, however they will not be held responsible for any computer result anomalies.
19. I will be 18 years old or over on the day of the Event.
20. I have read, understood and accept the GB Ultras Ltd Withdrawal Policy.
21. I understand that confirmed entry to this event is dependent on a fully and accurately completed online Entry Form; and receipt of payment to cover my Entry fee at least 10 working days (2 weeks) in advance of the event. If either of these conditions is not fulfilled then my entry will not be valid nor accepted, and I will not be eligible to take part in the Event.
22. Through my completion and submission of the online Entry Form, I am committing to paying for my Event entry via the means as instructed on the GB Ultras Ltd website.
23. I irrevocably consent to my appearance in any media format, in relation to the publicity of this Event, and in future publicity and advertising of GB Ultras Ltd; provided that such use does not imply my direct endorsement of any official sponsor or suppliers of the Event.
24. All decisions and rulings by the Event Organisers, its employees and its agents are considered final.
25. The Event Organisers reserve the right to vary these conditions by giving notice to in writing in any official event material or correspondence prior to the Event.
26. A person who is not party to these Terms shall not have any rights under or in connection with them under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999.
27. We will not be liable or responsible for any failure to perform, or delay in performance of, any of our obligations under the Terms that is caused by events outside our reasonable control.
A Force Majeure Event includes any act, event, non-happening, omission or accident beyond our reasonable control and includes in particular (without limitation) the following: strikes, lock-outs or other industrial action; civil commotion, riot, invasion, terrorist attack or threat of terrorist attack, war (whether declared or not) or threat or preparation for war; fire, explosion, storm, flood, earthquake, subsidence, epidemic or other natural disaster; impossibility of the use of railways, shipping, aircraft, motor transport or other means of public or private transport; impossibility of the use of public or private telecommunications networks; the acts, decrees, legislation, regulations or restrictions of any government; and pandemic or epidemic.
28. You agree that we may publish your Personal Information as part of the results of the Event and may pass such information to the governing body or any affiliated organisation for the purpose of insurance, licences or for publishing results either for the event alone or combined with or compared to other events. Results may include (but not be limited to) name, any club affiliation, race times, occupation and age category. You consent that your details maybe passed onto GB Race Tracker Ltd and Race Tracker AS to ensure the smooth and accurate running of the Tracking software. Your details may also be passed onto 3rd parties via Live tracking so that your family and friends and the general public can follow every entrants position during the Race.
29. Should a GPS Tracker be damaged, lost or stolen then the entrant agrees to cover the cost of the tracker which is £150 + VAT per GPS tracker.
30. Upon withdrawal or completion of the Race, the runner agrees to return the GPS tracker to the Race Organiser. If a GPS tracker is not returned to a dedicated Race Marshal at Race HQ then the runner will be charged £150 + VAT.
31. I have read, understood and accept the GB Ultras Ltd Withdrawal Policy.
If you see a runner experiencing difficulties please inform Checkpoint Marshals. Each runner should have RACE HQ mobile numbers stored in their phone (shared in the Race Instructions email in the weeks prior to the event).
It is the role of the entrant to be self-sufficient. Should an incident occur, our team will endeavour to reach any participant in difficulty as quickly as possible, with Event staff stationed in hard to reach locations. Phones must be used only in an emergency to conserve battery power should the need arise.
Participants who lose time helping another fallen participant, can claim this time back, subject to RD discretion and under the proviso of completing within RD agreed conditions. Please note any extended time will be ‘within’ the cut-offs of the event, due to event staffing, medical cover and venue hire.
GB Race Tracker provide the Live Online GPS Tracking for the event with updates on participant positions approximately every 2 minutes (subject to signal). On the front of each tracker is an SOS button which when pressed immediately alerts the Race Director & Race HQ that urgent help is required who can then act accordingly.
In the event of a Medical Emergency please call 999 and then inform Race HQ.
Withdrawal Prior to the Race
Due to the nature of the event HIRING Abergavenny Castle and Village Halls across Wales and committing to tracking costs, medical contracts, permit fees and suppliers; costs are incurred as soon as a participant signs up, therefore NO refunds are possible in this event. However, GB Ultras understand injuries do occur so would URGE ALL RUNNERS to take out DOGTAG PERSONAL MEDICAL COVER or BMC Personal Cover to help claim back the entry fee (due to injury) and thus following the insurance companies refund process. Please be aware that the Insurance Company determines whether the nature of your injury will necessitate a refund. Any deferrals to the 2021 Race must be done 8 weeks prior to the event, however, transfers are possible up until 3 weeks before the Race day providing qualifying criteria is met. Participants are only allowed to defer for 1 year and CANNOT transfer between events.
Withdrawal During the Race
Unless medically unable, you should only be withdrawing from the Race at a Checkpoint Only. It is not our responsibility to pick up a runner short of a Checkpoint. Please inform a GB Ultras Race Marshal or the Race Director of your withdrawal. This will ensure all participants who are registered and pull out of the race are accounted for, allowing for the accurate and safe running of the event. If a participant withdraws at a Checkpoint they must hand over their RACE NUMBER AND GPS TRACKER to Race Staff to signal their retirement. A sweeper after the cut off time will take retired participants to the Finish Venue, there may well be a wait to be picked up and there may well be other Checkpoints called at along the way. Although, ultimately decisions to continue are in the hands of the runner, GB Ultras reserve the right to pull any participant out of the race on health grounds.
Become a valued member of the Beacons Way Ultra 100 Mile team supporting runners at checkpoints during the race! Experience the event from the other side and make a difference!
Race Marshal roles are designated prior to the event with different roles to suit the individual and event costs can also be waived for the same event in the following year providing criteria of a minimum 6 hours volunteering (50 Mile) or minimum of 12 hours volunteering (100 Mile) is met.
Food & Refreshments are also available at Checkpoints throughout the event for the Event team along with a tech tee shirt (subject to availability).
All of the runners are exceptionally grateful of your fundamental part in their race experience.
To APPLY to become an event marshal with GB Ultras for any of our events at please complete and submit your details on the Volunteer form on our website https://www.GBUltras.com/volunteer/
GB Ultras Running Club
Want to join the GB Ultras Running Club? Head over to the Club page now!