Chester Ultra 50
2019 Marks the Return of this Incredible 50 Mile Ultra-Marathon with Live Online GPS Tracking & 6 Checkpoints en route hosted by the Magnificent GB Ultras Team Supporting your Progress. This Well-Marked race fuses trails on the River Dee with the North Cheshire Way & the Amazing Sandstone Trail taking in Helsby Hill, Frodsham & Delamere Forest.
Saturday 2nd March 2019
In the lead up to the Race, GB Ultras Running Club organise Free of Charge training runs covering the entire route section by section to help build confidence and prepare runners for the upcoming 50 Mile Race.
Top 100 finishers earn a Gold ‘Chester Ultra’ Medal, 101-200 finishers earn a Silver ‘Chester Ultra’ Medal and 201+ finishers earn the Bronze ‘Chester Ultra’ Medal. The 2019 Chester Ultra 50 Mile is part of the GB Ultras 50 Mile GRAND SLAM!
There are additional prizes for the Top 3 Male & Top 3 Female finishers & also for the Top 3 Teams to Complete the Race (based on accumulated time of their first three finishers). At the Finish Venue, food is pre-paid for Finishers, along with all Official Professional Photos too.
Chester Ultra 50
Ready for the challenge?ENTER NOW
Full Race details
Friday 1st March 2019.
4.00pm – 9.00pm Registration and Kit Checks.
Saturday 2nd March 2019. – Race Day
4.00am – 5.30am Registration and Kit Checks.
5.30am – 6.00am Race Briefing.
6am Race Start.
Dates To Be Confirmed
The training runs are free of charge to attend, we simply ask that runners confirm their attendance via sending an email to email@example.com and/or joining the GB Ultras Community Forum so that closer to the time we can help make arrangements. The idea would be to have some of the runners cars dropped off at the end point of the day’s run, arrange pick up of said runners from this point and bring them to the Start point. At the end of the day’s running, those with the car’s waiting at the finish point, drop runners back to their cars at the day’s Start point. We find this a sensible approach, promoting car sharing, organisation, avoiding charging for mini-bus hire, and also reducing the impact on the environment.
Pace wise we’ll be going at a nice gentle pace ensuring all runners stay as a group with brief stops approximately every couple of miles.
Generally our training runs have high attendance and for safety reasons we’ll be imposing a limit depending on feedback. There will be no minimum attendance limit as i feel that if we can help just one runner prior to Race day then its been a success.
Please take into account weather conditions closer to the time. We recommend runners refer to the Mandatory kit section and carry sufficient food/water for the duration of each of the runs.
To download the GPX or KML file for this event simply select the correct file in the menu below.
In good health
Must have run at least a marathon distance race prior to the event.
This can be for an event not yet taken place but that will be completed prior to Chester Ultra start.
Cut-Off times per Checkpoint – These conditions include the length of time taken to complete sections of the course and they are implemented by the Event Organisers, GB Ultras, at their discretion, to ensure safe and proper running of the event.
CHECKPOINT 1 – 7.5 Miles … Section total : 7.5 miles.
Checkpoint ECCLESTON Ferry Parking, Approx CH4 9HP, Chester. SJ 41510 62165.
Cut Off at CP1 : 8.40 AM Sat
CHECKPOINT 2 – 12.5 Miles … River Dee to Shropshire Canal. Section Total : 5 miles.
Checkpoint Tower Rd/Raymond St, CH1 4EL, Chester. SJ 40065 66580.
Cut Off at CP2 : 10.00 AM Sat
CHECKPOINT 3 – 22.3 Miles … Section Total : 9.8 miles.
Checkpoint Dunham Village Hall, WA6 0NJ, SJ47132 72560
Cut Off at CP3 : 13.08 PM Sat
CHECKPOINT 4 – 28.6 Miles. Section total : 6.3 miles.
Checkpoint Helsby-Frodsham, WA6 6DY, Proximity of Carriage Drive. SJ 51370 76645.
Cut Off at CP4 : 15:10 PM Sat.
CHECKPOINT 5 – 35.3 Miles. Section total : 6.7 miles.
Checkpoint Delamere Forest Barnsbridge Car-park, Delamere Road, SJ 54172 71588.
Cutoff at CP5 : 17.17 PM Sat.
CHECKPOINT 6 – 43 Miles. Section total : 7 miles.
Checkpoint Crib Lane, CW6 9DQ, SJ54053 61380
Cutoff at CP6 : 19:45 PM Sat.
FINISH – 50 Miles. To Waverton Section total :7 miles.
Finish at the Waverton Village Hall. CH3 7QT. SJ45470 64048
Cut Off at 23:00 PM Sat.
There is a 17 hour cut off time for the event.
Map – OS 117
Thermal Base layer
Water bottle or bladder -min 1 litre capacity,
Fully charged mobile phone,
Electrolytes – S-Caps
As the Start and Finish are the Same Venue there is no provision for looking after Dropbags, please keep these safe in your vehicle or with a supporter.
Please be aware GB Ultras Races Now Cupless! You can buy a GB Ultras reusable cup CLICK HERE to visit the shop.
Ultra-Marathon Admission Waiver
Each ultra runner agrees and understands the full nature of an Ultra-Marathon. That an Ultra-Marathon involves running throughout the day and well into the night at times with limited rest over challenging terrain with inherent risks of changing weather conditions. Each ultra runner understands that it is their responsibility to adequately train for the event, and monitor their own health throughout and are ultimately responsible for their own safety. Criteria ensures that a runners safety depends on their own skills and abilities and these have been gained from other events placing them in good stead to take on the mental and physical challenges of Chester Ultra.
Each ultra runner understands these are there responsibilities not those of GB Ultras.
Please read these terms and conditions carefully and make sure that you understand them, before placing an entry on our site. By submitting your entry form, you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions (“the Terms”), and by submitting, you declare that you hereby, for yourself, your heirs and executors, administrators, successors, and assigns, declare that:-
1. I hereby agree to comply with the Conditions of Entry and all event rules and regulations as set down by GB Ultras Ltd (“the Event Organisers”) a company registered in England and Wales under company number 09397186. These conditions include the length of time taken to complete sections of the course which may be implemented by the Event Organisers, at their discretion, to ensure safe and proper running of the event.
2. I agree that the decision of the Race Referee will be final in all circumstances and no discussion will be entered into.
3. I agree to conduct myself in a sporting, professional and cautious manner during my participation in the event and understand that I may be disqualified if I do not do so.
4. I understand participation in this Event is physically strenuous and demanding and am fully aware of the nature of the event and all associated medical and physical risks involved. I further certify that I am physically capable of competing in this Event and I will only compete if I am fit enough to do so.
5. I will be immediately disqualified from the Event if I am found to have intentionally shortened the route to the race, and found to be deliberately littering the course.
6. If I have any medical condition(s), including allergies, which the Event Organisers or Event medical advisors might need to be aware of, I have provided details of this on my entry form, and will also provide written details of this on the rear of my pin-on numbers prior to my participation in the Event. I agree to display my number at all times during the Event.
7. I acknowledge that my pin-on number is personal to me and it is non-transferable under any circumstances.
8. I understand and agree that I participate in this Event entirely at my own risk, that I must rely on my own ability in dealing with all hazards, and that I must conduct myself in a manner that is safe for myself and all others throughout the duration of this Event.
9. I agree to retire immediately from the event if ordered to do so by the Event Organisers, any government official or member of the emergency services.
10. I accept full liability for any medical expenses incurred as a result of training for and/or participating in the Event
11. I accept that the Event Organisers, sponsors, race officials, medical advisers and any person involved in the organisation of this Event are not liable for any injury or illness or resultant death that I may suffer as a result of my participation in the Event, whether prior to, during or subsequent to the Event. I enter the race entirely at my own risk. I renounce any rights and claims for damages that I may have against the Event Organisers, sponsors, race officials, medical advisers and any person involved in the organisation of this Event together with their officers, directors, shareholders, successors and assigns, (collectively, “Releasees”) and release them from all liability to the Participant and his/her personal representatives, assigns, heirs, executors, and successors for loss(es), damage(s) and claims therefor on account of injury to Participant or his/her property or the resultant death of Participant, whether caused by the active or passive negligence of the Releasees or otherwise, in connection with Participants involvement in the Event (“Losses”), and further covenants not to sue any of the aforementioned parties for such Losses.
12. Whilst the Event Organisers take every care with the staging of the Event, I accept that I must make all reasonable precautions for the safeguarding of my person and of my property during my participation in this Event. I further acknowledge that personal accident and personal items insurance is my responsibility.
13. I understand that at registration, I must produce photographic identification.
14. I am aware that when running, the function of the marshals is only to indicate direction and that I must decide if the movement is safe.
15. I accept that, in relation to my participation in this Event, I am required to obey instructions from marshals and relevant signage before, during and after the Event.
16. The Event Organisers introduce cut off times for completion of sections of the course as they see fit. These will be made clear prior to the race. Competitors may be instructed to withdraw from the Event in accordance with the imposed cut off times.
17. I accept that the Event Organisers reserve the right to amend the event format or cancel the Event due to health and safety reasons, including storm, rain, inclement weather, winds or any other act of god conditions. I accept that my Entry fee shall be non-refundable in this circumstance as costs have already been incurred.
18. I accept that the Event Organisers will do their utmost to provide me with a finish time following my completion of the Event, however they will not be held responsible for any computer result anomalies.
19. I will be 18 years old or over on the day of the Event.
20. I have read, understood and accept the GB Ultras Ltd Withdrawal Policy.
21. I understand that confirmed entry to this event is dependent on a fully and accurately completed online Entry Form; and receipt of payment to cover my Entry fee at least 10 working days (2 weeks) in advance of the event. If either of these conditions is not fulfilled then my entry will not be valid nor accepted, and I will not be eligible to take part in the Event.
22. Through my completion and submission of the online Entry Form, I am committing to paying for my Event entry via the means as instructed on the GB Ultras Ltd website.
23. I irrevocably consent to my appearance in any media format, in relation to the publicity of this Event, and in future publicity and advertising of GB Ultras Ltd; provided that such use does not imply my direct endorsement of any official sponsor or suppliers of the Event.
24. All decisions and rulings by the Event Organisers, its employees and its agents are considered final.
25. The Event Organisers reserve the right to vary these conditions by giving notice to in writing in any official event material or correspondence prior to the Event.
26. A person who is not party to these Terms shall not have any rights under or in connection with them under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999.
27. We will not be liable or responsible for any failure to perform, or delay in performance of, any of our obligations under the Terms that is caused by events outside our reasonable control (Force Majeure Event).
A Force Majeure Event includes any act, event, non-happening, omission or accident beyond our reasonable control and includes in particular (without limitation) the following: strikes, lock-outs or other industrial action; civil commotion, riot, invasion, terrorist attack or threat of terrorist attack, war (whether declared or not) or threat or preparation for war; fire, explosion, storm, flood, earthquake, subsidence, epidemic or other natural disaster; impossibility of the use of railways, shipping, aircraft, motor transport or other means of public or private transport; impossibility of the use of public or private telecommunications networks; the acts, decrees, legislation, regulations or restrictions of any government; and pandemic or epidemic.
28. I have read, understood and accept the GB Ultras Ltd Withdrawal Policy. You agree that we may publish your Personal Information as part of the results of the Event and may pass such information to the governing body or any affiliated organisation for the purpose of insurance, licences or for publishing results either for the event alone or combined with or compared to other events. Results may include (but not be limited to) name, any club affiliation, race times, occupation and age category. Your details may also be passed onto 3rd parties via Live tracking so that your family and friends and the general public can follow every entrants position during the Race.
29. Should a GPS Tracker be damaged, lost or stolen then the entrant agrees to cover the cost of the tracker which is £150 + VAT per GPS tracker.
30. Upon withdrawal or completion of the Race, the runner agrees to return the GPS tracker to the Race Organiser. If a GPS tracker is not returned to a dedicated Race Marshal at Race HQ then the runner will be charged £150 + VAT.
31. I have read, understood and accept the GB Ultras Ltd Withdrawal Policy.</p>
As always, if you see a runner experiencing difficulties please inform Checkpoint Marshals. Each runner should have the Race Organiser’s mobile number. Our team will always endeavour to reach any participant in difficulty but due to inaccessibility of the Trail this can take time. Participants who lose time helping another fallen participant, struggling against the cut off time due to this reason, can claim this time back, subject to RD discretion and under the proviso of completing within their new, extended cut off period.
The trail runs close by to Water Courses like the River Dee and Shropshire Canal – care should be taken at these areas.
Due to running through woodland and along trails, conditions might be muddy-icey, be careful and mindful of loose branches, unseen stones, uneven terrain, falling branches, some overgrowth, stiles to negotiate and closeby the stiles barbed wire, rabbit and mole holes too. There might also be some danger presented by steep drops, close to cliff edges at Helsby & Frodsham Hill. Watch your footing. Also be mindful of other users of the Trail.
Any deferrals to the 2020 Race must be done 8 weeks prior to the event, however, transfers are possible up until 3 weeks before the Race day providing qualifying criteria is met (marathon experience)
During the race – Please inform a GB Ultras Race Marshal at one of the Checkpoint’s or the Event Director. This will ensure all participants who are registered and pull out of the race are accounted for, allowing for the accurate and safe running of the event. If a participant withdraws at a Checkpoint they must hand over their race number to race staff to signal their retirement. Marshals’ will inform the race organiser and each of the remaining Checkpoints can update their lists. A sweeper after the cut off time will take retired participants to the Finish Venue. Although ultimately decisions to continue are in the hands of the runner, GB Ultras reserve the right to pull any participant out of the race on health grounds.
GB Ultras Running Club
Want to join the GB Ultras Running Club? Head over to the Club page now!